Need some help with speaker cable splicing and what not - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2003, 02:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to AJ Bertelson
Question Need some help with speaker cable splicing and what not

ok so here is the deal. I am going to be purchasing a echo rio sound card in the future with the 1/4" jacks coming out of it. What I will be pairing it with is a 2 channel p3a amp. Since there is gonna be a total of 4 binding posts on it(2 pairs) how am I am gonna split it up?

Or should I just go with a 1/4 input jack? I am wondering how I am gonna seperate the channels. I am also considering the m-audio 24/96. I can't get the revo cause I only have a 350mhz p2
Old 8th January 2003, 10:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Hi

I'm not quite sure if I understand correctly, but if you just want to get the signal out of the souncard and into the input of the P3A, you just need to buy or make a 1/4" jack to to phone (RCA) adaptor.

I'm sure I must be missing the point here, so if you need more info, could you post a few more details of what you intend to do?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 8th January 2003, 01:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

sure, here is a pic of the sound card from neoseeker

Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...views/echomia/

I am only able to use one jack for two channels with this. Would it just be easier to use a M-audio 24/96 as it has RCA outs?

Click the image to open in full size.

apparently the MIA sounds alot better then the 24/96

edit-I am confused on what to do for the amp input, most of amps that I have seen have two inputs(left and rite channegl[duh!]) so how can I split up the inputs for the 1/4" jack into two inputs?
Old 8th January 2003, 02:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Echo Mia has two balanced 1/4" inputs, and two balanced 1/4" outputs. You can use these in either balanced or unbalanced mode. Does your amp have balanced inputs (XLR connectors) or just RCA connectors? Either way, it is easy enough to make the required cables.
Old 8th January 2003, 02:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

AJ, ( good initals, same as me )

I can't comment on the souncards, as I run Mac, and so have nothing to do with them!

The cable you need is easy to make or buy, and I enclose a picture of one below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable.jpg (63.3 KB, 129 views)
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 8th January 2003, 02:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
AJ, ( good initals, same as me )

I can't comment on the souncards, as I run Mac, and so have nothing to do with them!

The cable you need is easy to make or buy, and I enclose a picture of one below:
That is not the cable he needs for the Echo Mia. It uses 1/4" outputs, one per channel.
Old 8th January 2003, 02:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Sparhawk, I was refering to the q, in the first post, and yes, it is wrong as it is an 1/8" plug, but the wiring is the same.

AJ, if you are capable of building an amp, you will have no problem making any cable to connect the soundcard to it, so just buy the best card and sort it out from there.
Old 8th January 2003, 02:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparhawk

That is not the cable he needs for the Echo Mia. It uses 1/4" outputs, one per channel.
Does the 1/4" differ in anyway from the 1/8" plug? IIRC I think I have seen a couple more lines on it and what I mean by lines is the black circles that are around the input jack. I think there are four if I am correct.

Sparhawk, I will be building a P3a. I do know what RCA connectors are but I have never heard of XLR connectors. Also about the MIA, does the un-balanced output mean that I can send one channel to one output?
Old 8th January 2003, 02:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Sparhawk, I was refering to the q, in the first post, and yes, it is wrong as it is an 1/8" plug, but the wiring is the same.
The wiring is not the same, as the Mia uses one balanced 1/4" connector per channel. All that is needed is a 1/4" TS -> RCA for unbalanced operation, or a 1/4" TRS -> XLR for balanced use.
Old 8th January 2003, 03:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

[quote]The wiring is not the same, as the Mia uses one balanced 1/4" connector per channel.[quote]

Yes, I know! But AJ was asking about the echo rio card!

AJ

It sounds like that adaptor is used for outputs to a surround sound system, or for a pair of satellites and a sub. These sockets are used when space is reduced, to allow maximum outputs in a small footprint, but the principle is the same, each ring will be a different output, and the barrel nearest the body of the plug will be a shared ground.

Hide this!Advertise here!