Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

First HT system. 5.1 help
First HT system. 5.1 help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2007, 02:30 AM   #1
truz05 is offline truz05  United States
diyAudio Member

Default First HT system. 5.1 help

I just got a Pioneer VSXd510 receiver and also just upgraded to component video and digital audio, so of course, im looking for a half-way-decent 5.1 system.

$ 400 budget. I can easily be persuaded, but id like to keep the cost as low as possible.

I like the idea of those speaker kits featured at madisound.com
but for the whole 5.1 system, the kits cost nearly $2000 with the cabinets. I would have even CONSIDERED building something like I saw on zaph audio, but it's all for stereo, not 5.1. if I dont get a kit, then I would prefer to get a used system, because it cuts costs dramatically.

room - 16' L, 13' W, 7.5' H
about the width though... about 6' from the front, the room opens up on one side. so it's essentially an L shaped room. or 2 rooms connected. however you'd like to look at it.

front wall has a home entertainment unit. i've provided a picture.
looking for tower or bookshelves of decent size to fit inside of it. height of front speakers can be up to 4' since that shelf that the speakers are sitting on, is removable.

back wall has a ledge/shelf along the entire width of it which is about 3' off the ground. this is where I was planning on putting my rear speakers.

is this okay...having large front speakers and smaller rear speakers? and where can I find a system or kit that has this type of setup. i'm not looking for perfection, and this is what I really had in mind, given the room I have.

speakers are the main concern right now, although I will be adding a sub

as for many on here, this is my only means of research or input, so any comments are appreciated. thanks so much

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 8th February 2007, 03:10 AM   #2
sdclc126 is offline sdclc126  United States
diyAudio Member

"I would have even CONSIDERED building something like I saw on zaph audio, but it's all for stereo, not 5.1."

If I understand what you're saying, there's no reason why you can't use one of Zaph's or any other designs for HT - just build five speakers instead of two.

Have you looked at Parts Express? - lots of affordable projects there and the BR-1S kit might fall within your budget.
Old 8th February 2007, 03:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

i guess the big question would be. do the front and rear's have to be identical? I have an abundunce of room in the front, and much less in the back. my entertainment system would look naked with just the BR-1's for instance.

They do suit me very well though.
Old 8th February 2007, 03:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

No - the fronts and rears do not have to be identical - for HT the rears are never a primary source so you can conserve your budget on them and put more into the mains.

If your system is mostly for HT the rears will be only for those infrequent (more frequent in action/sci fi etc.) effects sounds that make you feel immersed in the action, but high fidelity here is not paramount.

For audiophiles like myself an argument can be made for rears being identical or very close to the mains, for when I listen to music, especially classical, I set the DSP on my system to Concert, Auditorium, Church etc. to simulate a large listening space, so the rears are going all the time to create the synthetic echo. Many people, on the other hand, set their systems to stereo when listening to music so the rears (and center channel) are irrelevant altogether.

Helpful?
Old 8th February 2007, 03:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

absolutely...

but generally, i'm not using this system for music. for my car, for instance, I dont even use rear speakers. for home theater on the other hand, id like to have the full experience while watching the Matrix, or whatever, so rear's are a must
Old 8th February 2007, 04:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

i'm thinking of just rearranging the unit to make use of the extra space, like putting those big vintage speakers on the bottom or something, then just getting 4 BR-1's or something similar and be done with it.

what do you think? other alternatives?
Old 8th February 2007, 02:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

There are always alternatives - but they are of course limited by your budget. If you want to build a ready-made kit, the BR-1 is in your price range. BTW - I've built a similar set for a friend - same drivers, different cabs and run-of-the-mill crossovers, and they do sound very nice - plenty of non-fatiguing detail and good bass.

They would make fine mains for an HT system - but if you want to save some money and even add a center channel you might try the Hi Vi B3S single driver system at Zaph Audio for the center and rears.

When you say you'd be putting the vintage speakers on the bottom - would they still be hooked up to the system? I guess there aren't enough channels for that anyway, and the sound would be degraded - but you might consider converting one or both into cheap subs! Then your system would be complete.
Old 8th February 2007, 04:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I didnt mean that i'd actually leave the old ones hooked up.

converting them into subs...hmm I might be willing to try it. 8" mid/subs and 8" passive radiators is what each cabinet consists of. and a 2 1/2" cone tweeter. I think they're probably better left alone

anyways... I was looking at these setups too

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...00/htm200.html

http://www.av123.com/products_catego...akers&brand=55

what do you think?
I like the Opix xls's because I can piece together a system, and it wont cost a crazy amount. 219 for a pair isnt bad, and add a center and sub later.
Old 8th February 2007, 06:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You seem to be leaning toward buying commercial speakers, which is fine - you just have to remember that we build our own here, and I am not familiar with the brands you refer to.

Having said that, the AV123 Opix xls at least appears to be a quality product with decent drivers and cabinets. And yes you can certainly start with mains and build your system over time - most of us do that too.

I can't recommend buying any speaker without auditioning it first, so their 30-day home trial period with full refund in outbound and inbound shipping is the way to go. Speakers always sound different in the store and at home because no two rooms are the same, so home is the ideal place to test them out.

Take your time - do your research and shop around - one of the fun things about this hobby is you're never stuck with whatever you currently have - you can upgrade/replace as time and money allow.

Good luck.

First HT system. 5.1 helpHide this!Advertise here!