What is the influence of your listening room?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Room properties are very important to how we experience the sound radiating from a pair of loudspeakers. Multichannel is kind of easier, because then we can generalize that minimal reflectiveness and modes are better.

In the crossover steepness chain we have just had a long discussion about dispersion patterns, room size and reflectiveness. Many studies have shown that moderate and even dispersion pattern and distribution on reflections is generally preferred as giving most pleasant and "good" sound. Obviously our perception and sound processing in the brain can and wants to match the sound to the visual appearance of the environment. This is perhaps an evolutionary method of humans for coping and surviving in changing environments.

Modern FFT-based sound analyzing software have given us hobbyists a possibilyt to measure and analyze sound coming from speaker(s) and the reverberant soundfield at listening position, easily. I think that the most widely used progam is RoomEQWizard, which I have used for some five years now.

Of it's many graphic presentations, I have found most revealing the Decay presentation, with spl/F curves at several delay times from direct sound. Then one can not use normalization, which makes comparison of different speakers and rooms difficult. Other presentations like RT and CSD have some good points too, and the spectrogram is kind of pretty.

In two next posts i will show two different speakers measured same way in same room. AINOgradient is four-way with monopole bass and dipole in mids and tweeter. ER18DXT is a 6.5"/1" two-way monopole. The radiation pattern of ER is typical of most modern loudspeakers, with a low and rather smoothly rising directivity. AINOs have exceptionally constant radiation above 200hz, close to ideal dipole pattern. These speakers do sound different!

Last edited:
AINOgradient

Attachments

• ainogneo83 vx1 spl im vs spot 120ms 112.jpg
    ainogneo83 vx1 spl im vs spot 120ms 112.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 115
  • ainogneo83 vx1 L wavelet.jpg
    ainogneo83 vx1 L wavelet.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 45
  • ainogneo83 vX1 L spectr normalized.jpg
    ainogneo83 vX1 L spectr normalized.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 99
  • ainogneo83 vx1 L clarity.jpg
    ainogneo83 vx1 L clarity.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 114
  • ainogneo83 vx1 L rt.jpg
    ainogneo83 vx1 L rt.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 119
  • ainogneo83 vx1 L decay.jpg
    ainogneo83 vx1 L decay.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 115
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.