Crossover Reality Check???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am finishing up a DIY center channel to (hopefully) match a pair of Klipsch Heresy I's. The woodworking has gone fine, now I have to address some crossover modifications.

In place of the Klipsch K-22 12.00-inch woofer I went with dual Dayton Classic II 8.00-inch in parallel. The SPL's worked out about equal. The cone areas are close. I do not know the specs for the K-22, but assume from the sensitivity and design it has lower inductance and nominal resistance than a single 8.00. Is it similar to an Eminence Kappa? Dunno, that's what I looked at.

Eminence: 5.5 Ohm / 1.22 mH
Dayton II: 8 Ohm / 1.56 mH each

Attached is the Klipsch Type E crossover. The woofer circuit has a 2.5 mH inductor on it. I want the circuit to behave like it did. Question: Given dual 8.00's what should the new inductor value be? Considering parallel resistance and inductance, it seems I need to add inductance. However, I have read otherwise, that I should lower the inductance. ???. Then the is the question of the type of coil. I really could use some DC resistance, so I am considering an air-core coil, about .4 Ohm higher with 20 gague. ???. The Klipsch use laminated iron core design, just like an old transformer.

Thanks for a reality check.

jocko

Attachments

• heresy_schematic_small.jpg
    heresy_schematic_small.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 170
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.