effects of humidity/temperature on speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2007, 06:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default effects of humidity/temperature on speakers?

Should I be concerned about the high humidity or cold air present in my room? Is there a chance it could lead to permenant damage to the speaker's construction?
Old 12th February 2007, 01:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

well, I'm new in the speaker forum, though I've posted quite a bit in the tube forum.
In my experience over 30 years, too much dampness may ruin a good speaker with rot, mildew, etc..
I don't think the cold does too much, nor the heat by itself.
In the old days. most speakers were just a paper cone, and they lasted quite a while in reasonable conditions, in fact vintage speakers can be 50 or more years old and still be fine.
The thing I think is the biggest problem, is the rubber periphery of the newer speakers of the past 25 years or so. I don't think a speaker older than these (without this feature) can do a good job soundwise, whether with an Alnico or Ceramic magnet.
This peripheral rubber gives more movement to the air, but is sure the weakest point in my opinion. I've had to replace the woofer of the set I'd bought in '77 twice already, and a much newer smaller speaker set which I've only had since the late 80's is also almost rotted out.
Wish they'd do something to the formulation of that rubber.
Incidentally, I'm in the forum here to try to find a good replacement woofer, 8 or 10 inch, that I can bolt into my old boxes, must be full range and good sounding, but hopefully under $60 apiece.
This is to bolt into my Genesis $200 speaker boxes from '77, which have an LCR network and 4/8 ohm selector toggle switch on the back, no baffles but airtight, full of fiberglass as well as a high range microtweeter.
The originally had a sealed enclosure with a 10" passive radiator, but these rotted out long ago. The main 8' woofers I did replace with late 80's Radio Shack woofers, cheap but did the job, but now if I can find a good replacement I can either use the 8" or 10" hole on each one. Any recommendations? Preferably full range, maybe Celestion, but not as expensive as a Fostex.

My favorite music is Pink Floyd-type stuff, plus some jazz & horns.
I also have a turntable, which in conjunction with my tube amps lacks a lot on bass, so I'd like to have a speaker that is well-pronouced in the bass spectrum. Does not have to really do over 50 watts, musically, per channel.

Hide this!Advertise here!