Theil driver in 4/2004 Hobby Hi-Fi - Anybody got the info?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Tenson said:
Hi,

There was apparently a review of a Thiel coax driver called the SC3. If anyone has the measurements and info on this driver I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Simon, if I remember correctly Thorsten mentioned he subscribed to Hobbyhifi. Might be worth getting in touch with him and fingers crossed he has the review and measurements to pass on.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Digging around on here I did find:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=59742

Seem Klang&Ton did a coax roundup and distortion wise the older model of Seas coax did better. I believe you have the newer version with an improved tweeter.

One thing to remember though: harmonic distortion isn't the only distortion. There's a whole system of amplitude and time based errors/distortions in place that need to be carefully looked at. Take a look at the RAAL's for instance, average distortion figures at best but look at time based distortion and power compression, even the best domes look average here.

Well I do start to wonder when people just say 'lowest distortion driver we know of' and don't give figures.

I am very aware HD is not the only factor, having tried the Mangers! But I do think you have to look at all factors and work out what you are looking for. If you can get a driver that measures better in every department, so no trade off, then I do belive that equates to better sound. I find that CSD is equally as important as HD, but on the other hand I am never very bothered by efficiency as long as it doesn't make the drivers hard to match, like a lower sensitivity tweeter than woofer, I don't mind.

You can see some distortion tests of the new Seas driver here - http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20050901.htm

I will post my build when I am done in a few days. As I said before, these are only as a point of reference.

I wouldn't say RAAL HD is average at best, maybe for the cost, but it is all below 0.5% in the usable range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.