Theil driver in 4/2004 Hobby Hi-Fi - Anybody got the info? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Theil driver in 4/2004 Hobby Hi-Fi - Anybody got the info?

Hi,

There was apparently a review of a Thiel coax driver called the SC3. If anyone has the measurements and info on this driver I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 3rd February 2007, 10:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Theil driver in 4/2004 Hobby Hi-Fi - Anybody got the info?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenson
Hi,

There was apparently a review of a Thiel coax driver called the SC3. If anyone has the measurements and info on this driver I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Simon, if I remember correctly Thorsten mentioned he subscribed to Hobbyhifi. Might be worth getting in touch with him and fingers crossed he has the review and measurements to pass on.
Old 3rd February 2007, 10:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes I thought he did as well, but I thought others here may have it. Still waiting for a reply to my last email I sent Thorsten a few days ago!
Old 3rd February 2007, 10:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Digging around on here I did find:

Thiel coherent source drivers

Seem Klang&Ton did a coax roundup and distortion wise the older model of Seas coax did better. I believe you have the newer version with an improved tweeter.

One thing to remember though: harmonic distortion isn't the only distortion. There's a whole system of amplitude and time based errors/distortions in place that need to be carefully looked at. Take a look at the RAAL's for instance, average distortion figures at best but look at time based distortion and power compression, even the best domes look average here.
Old 3rd February 2007, 10:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well I do start to wonder when people just say 'lowest distortion driver we know of' and don't give figures.

I am very aware HD is not the only factor, having tried the Mangers! But I do think you have to look at all factors and work out what you are looking for. If you can get a driver that measures better in every department, so no trade off, then I do belive that equates to better sound. I find that CSD is equally as important as HD, but on the other hand I am never very bothered by efficiency as long as it doesn't make the drivers hard to match, like a lower sensitivity tweeter than woofer, I don't mind.

You can see some distortion tests of the new Seas driver here - http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20050901.htm

I will post my build when I am done in a few days. As I said before, these are only as a point of reference.

I wouldn't say RAAL HD is average at best, maybe for the cost, but it is all below 0.5% in the usable range.
Old 3rd February 2007, 11:35 PM   #6
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi Tenson!

I have the review you're looking for. If you still need it, you can send me a PM.

Regards,
Milan
Old 4th February 2007, 12:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Milan, I sent you an email. Cheers!
Old 4th February 2007, 10:18 AM   #8
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi Simon!

I've just sent you the file. I'm sorry it took me a while. I had to scan the papers first.

Regards,
Milan

Hide this!Advertise here!