Opinions on P-Audio 15" coaxials? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2007, 05:05 PM   #1
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Opinions on P-Audio 15" coaxials?

what's the word on 15CXA/HA and Sn-15C?
Old 25th January 2012, 07:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Talk about resuscitating an old post...

I have a chance to get some SN-15C's and I wonder if anybody has any experience with them.
I see there were no replies to the original thread but I am hoping somebody, maybe even freddi himself, has tried them since. Any opinions welcome.

Thanks,
Keith Arnold
blakkshepeaudio
Old 26th January 2012, 04:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a solo 12C that I bought when they first came out intending to use it in a bass guitar cab with a Beyma 15" below it, but the project never eventuated. When tried with a DCX for xover and 'by eye' xover settings, it was OK, but didn't stand out to me as exceptional.

I've had several of the P Audio coaxes (15CX38, 15CXHB, SN12C, 8CXA) and they vary quite a bit, so try before you buy, or don't pay too much.
Old 26th January 2012, 09:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I have a solo 12C that I bought when they first came out intending to use it in a bass guitar cab with a Beyma 15" below it, but the project never eventuated. When tried with a DCX for xover and 'by eye' xover settings, it was OK, but didn't stand out to me as exceptional.

I've had several of the P Audio coaxes (15CX38, 15CXHB, SN12C, 8CXA) and they vary quite a bit, so try before you buy, or don't pay too much.
Thanks Brett.
Care to elaborate on your likes/dislikes with the SN12C? I will not have the opportunity to audition and I am prepared to take a punt - up to a point!
Will be used in a big reflex box with MiniDSP for X-over and EQ.
Old 26th January 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakkshepeaudio View Post
Care to elaborate on your likes/dislikes with the SN12C?
Not really, as I'm not the descriptive type*, but it didn't strike me as going to be worth buying another at full retail for home use. I got the single cheap as it was used as a display unit at a show, and I only wanted it for the BG rig - I'm not playing any more so I don't need a live set up. Since then my experience and audio path has changed, and the small amount of unscientific testing, and no measuring, I did may not represent it well. You may love it and think it the duck's guts.

I'm happy to post it to you for you to try. You like it, make me a sensible offer, if not, ship it back. It has basically no use on it but some testing with music off CD. PM if interested.

* This is because I've not heard a system with you present, so what I've found with people's descriptions is that without a personal referent, you might as well be talking Klingon.
Old 26th January 2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There are a few posts about this scattered around the Loudspeaker section. I know I've posted some.
Old 28th January 2012, 07:07 AM   #7
VaNarn is offline VaNarn  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have heard a modified BM-15CX38 used in a large vented box for studio monitoring that had far more headroom than a Tannoy HPD 385 and was noticeably less coloured than that well regarded speaker.The modifications were made by Gary Nessel of Nessel Audio which is now based in Queensland. P-Audio seems to tick all the technical features boxes on paper but it appears it just needs a bit of refinement in assembly methods.

Hide this!Advertise here!