New 7"driver tests

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Mark,

Yet more excellent testing. What I like is your opinions and summary at the end of the test.

Have you thought about a web page rating the drivers in a table - with drivers down the page and distortion tests across? with a summary of systems you'd recommend the use of a particular driver.

Just a thought.... it's really just to help my memory... As I read through your pages I get confused on which drivers performed better in which tests. Seeing them all on one page would be great.

Thanks,
David.

hello mark !

what did you think of the usher ?

when i saw they was really at the performance level of scanspeak drivers but with a much lower price, i thought, what a bargain, but neither you nor zaph seems to be considering it like a 'real' bargain

for a 2 way 6" with a waveguided tweeter it seems to me that it would be the better option , do you second that view or would you do things differently ?

thank you very much for theses tests, as always, keeps some of us away from buying crap !

Dave Bullet said:
Hi Mark,

Yet more excellent testing. What I like is your opinions and summary at the end of the test.

Have you thought about a web page rating the drivers in a table - with drivers down the page and distortion tests across? with a summary of systems you'd recommend the use of a particular driver.

Just a thought.... it's really just to help my memory... As I read through your pages I get confused on which drivers performed better in which tests. Seeing them all on one page would be great.

Thanks,
David.

Hi David. I've thought about rating pages. In fact, I tried more than usual to make rating/usage comments in my conclusion. It might not be a bad idea to actually rate by driver, with an introduction, distortion summary, and recommended use. And, if I was to do it over again...but that's a lot of work :bigeyes:

Nemophyle said:
hello mark !

what did you think of the usher ?

when i saw they was really at the performance level of scanspeak drivers but with a much lower price, i thought, what a bargain, but neither you nor zaph seems to be considering it like a 'real' bargain

for a 2 way 6" with a waveguided tweeter it seems to me that it would be the better option , do you second that view or would you do things differently ?

thank you very much for theses tests, as always, keeps some of us away from buying crap !

I think the Usher actually seems to have a motor that's as good as, or better than the scan. I'm now itching to look at the 8845 since it appears to have the same motor as the 8945P. However, the Usher isn't a giant killer because of it's FR dip, which is somewhat worse than the Scan. And, the price is creeping up. When Feyz started selling the Usher in the US, he was selling at a bargain intro price. (~80 per midwoofer). I put 5 of these into my HT satellites.

Anyway, the Usher is a great driver and you wouldn't make a mistake by using it. Currently, the rev is just over 200 $ a piece and the Usher just over 100 $. The motor of the Usher is as good as the Scan, if not better. Like I said in my comments, whether the extra money is worth a somewhat smoother FR? I'm also just going by the published graphs and Zaph's measurements. Probably some detailed FR and nearfield could be enlightening. Can't quite get to everything though...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.