Tang-band 2-way (W3+W8)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had thougths about putting a W3-871s and a W8-740C together in a small 2-way vented loudspeaker. I have done some calculations, and they look fine and dandy. However it seems that the 2nd order Linkwitz crossover (150Hz crossover) seem to cost more than the rest of the components together. Should I go with a 1st order crossover instead, or should I simply drop the idea?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
or even like this. Well no 871 but the 740C sure holds its own.

Attachments

• img_5023.jpg
    img_5023.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 366
Tenson said:
Even second order you will probably want to Xover higher than 150Hz for the 871. If you don't listen loud you may find it okay but I suggest 2nd order around 250Hz at least.

I agree that the 871 should be crossed over around 250Hz, or even a bit higher. As was previously mentioned the 871 should have it's own "compartment", which could be designed to aid the roll-off of the driver (2nd order acoustic) and keep the components to a minimum. A plate amp might work well depending on the upper limit of the amp's crossover and/or the ease of modifying the crossover to change the frequency range of the crossover. This sounds like a fun project, reminiscent of Cal Weldon's temporarily famous "Periscope" speakers that saw the light of day a few years ago at Al Wooley's RAW Fest. I believe that Kevin Haskins of DIYcable even nominated them for the "Terry Olson Award" which gives one an idea how wonderful (weird?) they were
:D .

I'd say give it a try, it's not a bad idea.
Best Regards,
TerryO

Tenson said:
And how does it sound?

Like a TB W3-(594?) with bass and decent imaging when placed 4' out from the wall.
Woefully inadequate for me as mains, but serves its purpose as a mobile monitor for small events instead of one of those dreadful boom box things. Plug it into a portable CD player or XM and the party has tunes ;) .

The bipolar arrangement yields a gradually tapering power response/DI.
Still a box with 3" cone tweeters no matter what I do :) .

cheers,

AJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.