just to let you people know, the Orion++

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Davey said:
I haven't tried it on my setup, but I probably will one of these days. I have too much other, non-audio stuff going these days.

I have something vaguely like that on a test box, although the tweeter is preceded by 2 uF so the corner frequency is about 15 kHz. That fills in the power response, since the front-facing tweeter rolls off fairly dramatically off-axis above 6 kHz, and the room response depends on the energy both on and off axis even for small rooms.

I'd bet that's why SL likes the rear-facing tweeter, too.

The amplifier concern is over-blown me thinks. And if a user doesn't want to go the parallel route a series-connect option and ASP modification is easy.

Solid state amplifiers limit on current, not power, so if the current draw is below maximum the protection circuit typically doesn't care about the output voltage. I've run power amps at silly impedances perfectly well so long as I didn't push the outputs too hard.

Tube amps, on the other hand, have significant output impedances, so that might not work too well.

Cheers,
Francois.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
:cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop:

Shinobiwan's post (#13) was reported to the moderating team and initially pulled, but team discussion resulted in a consensus that although Shinobiwan is perfectly entitled to his opinion, it was only the tone of his post was borderline, so it was re-instated. Moral: You can have any opinion you like, and express many of them, just ensure it's done in a gentlemanly manner that you would be happy to receive yourself...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
EC8010 said:

Shinobiwan's post (#13) was reported to the moderating team and initially pulled, but team discussion resulted in a consensus that although Shinobiwan is perfectly entitled to his opinion, it was only the tone of his post was borderline, so it was re-instated. Moral: You can have any opinion you like, and express many of them, just ensure it's done in a gentlemanly manner that you would be happy to receive yourself...

I'll be more mindful in the future, reading it back revealed it was a little OTT in colour. But with the exception of the products themselves I've got little respect for AKSA because I was shown a similar lack of respect from both its proprietor and a couple of the owners.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
And do you mean the Orions that you built from plans done by a pro in the know? Yep, aim high. And with that sentiment I might start saving for some Pipedreams or something.

Vik might be bringing his Orions to a meet here in the UK later this year. So looks like I might have chance, I'm not holding my breath that it will immediately make me stop designing and building my own speakers and rush out to buy but then again I have no doubts that they're nothing less than good.

ShinOBIWAN said:
And do you mean the Orions that you built from plans done by a pro in the know?

I wish I had bought the plans. That way I wouldn't have made all those mistakes like stuffing 2 XLS12's in there, waveguide loading a ring radiator, magnet mounting with a plexiglass baffle, etc, etc, mutating the pro in the knows wonderful design to such horrible disfigurement. Might even have ended up with some decent sounding speakers ;). Did ok never the less. Still got 'em. No trading down to KEF 209's any time soon :D .

ShinOBIWAN said:
Vik might be bringing his Orions to a meet here in the UK later this year. So looks like I might have chance, I'm not holding my breath that it will immediately make me stop designing and building my own speakers and rush out to buy but then again I have no doubts that they're nothing less than good. [/B]

Excellent. Hopefully the room will be the size of the average listeners in the audience so that they can hear the benefits of boxless/dipole radiation in small room acoustics over a monopole box, no matter how fancy looking. Might even prompt a few folks to DIY their own, based on such a design. Ya never know...;)

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA said:

John K,
Why no rear tweeter option for the NaO Mini?

cheers,

AJ

Simple: The Mini is an introductory system meant to be simple to build and relatively inexpensive. It was a compromise, just as the Mini uses sealed box woofers, though there is a pretty good argument for them.

With regard to rear tweeters and dipoles in general I did a comprehensive study of the integration of tweeters (front and front and rear) some time ago, about the same time I did the power matching study http://www.musicanddesign.com/PowerMatching.html, I had intended to put up a web page but I wasn't satisfied with the dipole models as driver directionality came into play. I have since improved my models but sort of lost interest in posting the study. All I can say in summary is that there are arguments to support both using a front and rear tweeters and only a front tweeter. Ultimately what sounds better depends on the listening environment and the source material, not to mention user preferences.

Just the other day I was reading about Dr. Geddes' Summa speaker with impressive constant directivity above 500hz, and that got me thinking about combining waveguides in a dipole alignment for the mids and hf. Then SL makes his announcement, and it just makes me more interested. Do you guys think a CD dipole is reasonably feasible?

Just the other day I was reading about Dr. Geddes' Summa speaker with impressive constant directivity above 500hz, and that got me thinking about combining waveguides in a dipole alignment for the mids and hf. Then SL makes his announcement, and it just makes me more interested. Do you guys think a CD dipole is reasonably feasible?

A lot of discussion related to this idea can be found in

this thread

and

this thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.