basszilla - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2003, 09:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default basszilla

hello from france,

I plan to go for the basszilla by dick olsher but would like to get some impressions before buying the plans? have some of you built them and for what results? which version, active or passive? what gear do you use to drive them?

thanks in advance,

gilles
Old 5th January 2003, 09:58 AM   #2
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Hello,
I bought the plans and have been slowly buying the drivers.
They use a big Audax pro woofer which has an exceptional reputation. It costs quite a bit (about $280 US ea) but maybe in France you can find it cheaper since it is made there.

I was cheap and bought Selenium drivers, but there is no doubt that the Audax drivers are better. I sometimes wish I had waited until I could afford them. If I like the Basszilla, I will upgrade them later.

The mid-hi driver is the Fostex Fe208 which has been discontinued and replaced by the FE 208 EZ .

I mentioned to Dick that this would happen and he said he would update the design for the new driver. Perhaps you should write and ask about this. It looks like his notch filter might work as well for the new model as the old.

I ordered the new Fe208 EZ drivers 2 days ago. Boy am I excited to get them !!!! Obviously I can't give you info on the sound!!

I am planning on adding a super tweeter above 10k (the Fostex 17?)

Are you near Toulouse? I have corresponded with a person there and he built a similar design with a Fostex 206 and Eminence bass driver.

I plan a passive crossover at first but with 2 amps: HAfler 220 for bass, Pass Son of Zen for everything else.
Old 5th January 2003, 02:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hi,

I am in the upper north of france and toulouse is way down south, about 600 miles!!! but I will contact the guy on the forum! I hope you will give impressions when speaker is built it would be quite helpgul!!!

gilles

Hide this!Advertise here!