basszilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello from france,

I plan to go for the basszilla by dick olsher but would like to get some impressions before buying the plans? have some of you built them and for what results? which version, active or passive? what gear do you use to drive them?

thanks in advance,

gilles

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hello,
I bought the plans and have been slowly buying the drivers.
They use a big Audax pro woofer which has an exceptional reputation. It costs quite a bit (about $280 US ea) but maybe in France you can find it cheaper since it is made there.

I was cheap and bought Selenium drivers, but there is no doubt that the Audax drivers are better. I sometimes wish I had waited until I could afford them. If I like the Basszilla, I will upgrade them later.

The mid-hi driver is the Fostex Fe208 which has been discontinued and replaced by the FE 208 EZ .

I mentioned to Dick that this would happen and he said he would update the design for the new driver. Perhaps you should write and ask about this. It looks like his notch filter might work as well for the new model as the old.

I ordered the new Fe208 EZ drivers 2 days ago. Boy am I excited to get them !!!! Obviously I can't give you info on the sound!!

I am planning on adding a super tweeter above 10k (the Fostex 17?)

Are you near Toulouse? I have corresponded with a person there and he built a similar design with a Fostex 206 and Eminence bass driver.

I plan a passive crossover at first but with 2 amps: HAfler 220 for bass, Pass Son of Zen for everything else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.