Small but high quality tweeters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am looking for a really high quality tweeter that is also small, for a 7KHz Xover (so extends to 3KHz, but best quality from 7KHz up).

I want it small so that I can place it close to the midrange driver and cross so high.

The one I can think of is the Vifa XT25SC50 - the little neo version of the XT25. The problem is that it is not really as high quality as I would like (seems to have some ringing in the CSD) and from what I understand these tweeters have a rather narrow dispersion. I like wide dispersion :)

Tangband seem to make a number of neo tweeters, but I have only seen measurements for the ones on Zaphs site. Anyone know if one of the others happens to be a bit special?

What else is there? I am looking for something with rather exceptional performance.

Thanks!

Zaph tested the d26nc-55-06e with very good results. Quite cheap if you can find it (I think it is out of production)

Vifa D26NC55 ($26) - Very smooth response with mild tilt down of a couple dB over it's range. Near perfect CSD without no high frequency garbage. *Very* low HD above 2.5kHz with a mild 3rd order peak at 1.6kHz. Almost a complete lack of tall order HD products. Well built small flange neo with heat sink and excellent internal construction.

D

I bought some of those Vifas from Madisound recently, they may still have stock. I doubt you will find any real data but some of the high end car audio tweeters are very nice, Res Audio Detectors, Morel Piccolo. or could you cut down/make a new faceplate for a known good tweeter, something like the Scanspeak with phaseplug (number eludes me) Genesis use that model (or a variant of) in their high end absolute speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.