Wilmslow Audio speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
A friend has used a pair of their stand-mount speakers for close-on fifteen years. The design appears competent, although the aesthetics are obviously down to the builder ;)

They are still in the same business after all of these years while others have come and gone, which suggests (well, to me at least) a combination of satisfied customers and good business practices.

I have heard the Home Studio Monitors on a number of occasions and can thouroughly reccomend them. Another design that also uses the Volt driver is being built here although this is not a stand mount. The previous version used a Visaton ribbon but this one has a Fostex unit. I really wanted to like the Visaton version of the DeccaVolt but personaly found it a little fierce at the top end, not sure if the Fostex version is better in this respect.

As has been mentiond they seem to be on the expensive side but have been around for a long time and I can certainly vouch that they are very helpfull, they wont sell you a £10 component if a £5 will do the job just as well.

If you visit you may want to take along your own amp and front end as the dem equipment can be a tad basic at times.

Paul.

Thanks all for the replies.

Pinkmouse i am really looking for something to better the Epos's. Don't have much knowledge in the electronics ie the crossover so Wilmslow are my best bet there.

Have been looking at the Studio monitors with the Volt and this may give me a bit more lower bottom end. Ribbon tweeters do interest me. Are they a sweeter sound than the usual ones. Although the Epos's have a relatively smooth top end the metal tweeter can sound a bit harsh at times with some music this coupled with my Esound CD-E5 cd players transparency .

Wilmslow Speakers

I have the Prestige II. I got Wilmslow to build them for me as I would have made a mess of vaneering. They use a skilled cabinet makers and they are beutifully made. I cant fault them although these are floor mounts.They are used in a very high end system. I.M.O. blow away JM Labs Micro Utopia which I had for 3 yrs, and are very comparable with Alto Utopia which I fancied second hand at the time at £6k. £11k new.
Problem is at Wilmslow they have a very limited front end that they use, speakers are a reasonable price due to cutting out all the middle men,thus people go to listen that can probably afford these, but not, or dont have the front end that they richly deserve. After listening on the lesser kit they come away unimpressed in some cases, but I can tell you it is not the speakers.
On auditioning these I also listened to the Forte and they are Superb. These are also floor mount but they are not too big if you can accomodate them. Thing is with stand mounts and I have had a few pairs, you just dont get the Bass end detail , even with Micro Utopia which are supposed to be one of the best.
Go and audition, but if you can ,take your own front end. Neil is very helpfull, my audition was from 10 in the morning untill 3 in the afternoon , although I was on hols at the time so it didnt hinder anyone. I made damned sure I was happy with the Prestige.The speakers cost me a tad short of £3k all built for me, I had upgraded crossovers and upgraded to the Scanspeak Revalator tweeter. Also had them internally wired with Missing Link Slingshot speaker cable, so its Slingshot all the way from the amp.I could have spent £6k on Altos and dont think the extra £3k would have been justified at all.:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.