Apogee MPTS-1 speakers for Dummies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After taking some time to look over this forum and doing some searches (with no luck) under "Apogee", I thought I would post this message in hope that someone would have the time to point me in the correct direction.

Due to financial hardships, I have recently become the owner of a complete (?) Apogee MPTS-1 loudspeaker system. The following link is about the only info that I was able to dig up on the system: http://www.msag.uz/apogee/mpts-1.htm

Being a Videotape Editor by trade, I am having a bit of a problem doing the install (in my home) and getting the system up and running again.

In short, the system consists of (3) front speakers each having three sets of terminals for H/M/L inputs. Two sets of surround speakers and a subwoffer with two sets of inputs. There is also a rack mounted THX decoder that I am assuming serves as the crossover network for the speakers as it has H/M/L outputs for each of the front speakers, surround speakers and sub woofer. There is also An Apogee parabolic EQ unit (mod. CRQ-12) that can be set for 6/6, 6/12, or 12/12 and also a Furman 2ch. graphic EQ unit (mod-Q151). In addition, each channel output (12 total) from the decoder, feeds to its own amp (6-2ch. QSC Audio Mod. USA 850s and 1- QSA Audio Mod. USA1300 for the sub woofer). Alot of hardware all rack mounted!

The decoder unit has (preamp) inputs for L,C,R,SL,SR and Sub. Which I ran from the sub outs of a Pioneer tuner. When I fire the system up, the audio sounds flat with no high end or low end. I am assuming that the outputs from the MPTS-1 decoder still need to be EQ'd via the Apogee EQ unit. I then tried to loop the Left and Right front feeds through the Apogee EQ, this was better, but it still seems I can't get them to sound even close to OK.

I am almost sure that my own stupidity in this area is the problem because I know that the system was working OK when it was removed. I tried to contact Apogee for any info or install data but because the system is around 8 years old and they have changed owners, they were of no help.

I hate to just trash this system. It is like brand new and I am sure there must be a way to get things working. I would prefer to do this rather than break it up and sell off the parts, amps etc...

I am hopeful that someone on this forum can help to point me in the right direction. While I am pretty good on most things A/V, audio on this level is a bit out of the area of what I do. I know that at some point I will have to EQ the room for it to sound correct, however, things are just not correct yet with the install/sig. path. Sorry to be so long-winded, just hope to get a little help from you audio pros... Thanks

P.S.> One other thought that I had was to possible bypass the the MPTS-1 decoder alltogether and see if I could just find/build a decent crossover network for the three front speakers (since they are just three sets of direct inputs to the H/M/L speakers on each. Using these "substitute" crossover networks might allow me to then just use the sub outputs from the Pioneer via power amps to the speakers directly. But again, I will be the first to state that I dont know what I am talking about. Just a thought...

I have one of the MPTS-1 like yours.
Are you useing a balanced input or trying to use a unbalanced one like the RCA outs from a home theater processor? I'm useing (7) Shure audio master to convert my unbalanced outputs from my ( JBL Synthesis it's really a Lexicon ) into balanced outputs. There are Some recievers that allready have Balanced outputs Like the B&K Ref. 50.
If you are useing balanced inputs and still haveing the problen you described. You might check the jumpers inside the the MPTS-1. There are one set for screen EQ where the speakers are setup behind a Pref Screen there is another set I'm not sure what thay do. Mine sounds great even with less much speakers than your have for your system . I Hope this helps. if not e-mail me
mcginnis_roger@hotmail.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.