altec A7 - ONKEN

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
From your question I assume you mean the Altec 825/828 bass cabinet from the A7 and the 360 liter Onken?

I love both. But..... I'd go with the A7. It can be totally devoid of box sound, if done right. Sounds like real, live music. I mean really.

Just be sure the A7 cab is very, very rigid and well braced. Put something like tar behind the flare to damp vibrations. Wool felt works well inside the cabinet, if you can find it.

You won't be disappointed by either, that's for sure. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi, missed this one first go round.

I can't comment on the large Fonkens but I do have the A7 cabinets. Since a boy, I have dreamed of owning them. As an adult, I am not disappointed, there is magic in them there cabinets. I am using a Selenium woofer but it doesn't seem to matter much. Those cabinets seem to make any woofer sound good. Not accurate, just good. I have decreased the size of the port, used a 511 for a mid driver and an 811 for the tweeter. See my avatar.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:
Hi, missed this one first go round.

I can't comment on the large Fonkens but I do have the A7 cabinets. Since a boy, I have dreamed of owning them. As an adult, I am not disappointed, there is magic in them there cabinets. I am using a Selenium woofer but it doesn't seem to matter much. Those cabinets seem to make any woofer sound good. Not accurate, just good. I have decreased the size of the port, used a 511 for a mid driver and an 811 for the tweeter. See my avatar.

What are you using on the 811 for a driver?

Russellc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.