Port Midrange Leakage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Pit,

At the frequency that causes you trouble your "TL" has a pressure maximum at 1/2 length and the holes vent it.

I have no problem with this.

My statement early:

It will kill the standing wave but...

Note "but..."

I think holes midway in the length of port will mess up other things.
Pressure differensies inside and outside of port at lower frequensies (and there is a lot) will lead to new noise from air traveling through the holes and in addidion mess up with the hopefully laminar movement of air in port around box tuning freq.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Svante!

The methods seem quite successful in killing the pipe resonances

No doubt about suppressing pipe resonances.
But the potential drawbacks, if holes are exposed to innards of box?
I think that if one created an enclosed volume around port that preferable would be heavily damped. By doing so there would be no problem with pressure/vacuum from box penetrating through the holes. If my memory serves me right this has been done on some commercial speakers before.

I will have some look around faktiskt.se

4fun said:
Hi,

jimangie1973, how is it going for you?
Any success in damping that port resonance yet?

Not yet. I bought some Acoustistuff (synthetic nylon stuffing) that I'm going to line the box with. The box is currently stuffed with generic polyfill with a empty space between each woofer and the port entrance.

The speakers are actually a commercially built model which uses a driver arrangement exactly the same as the Seas Odin/Thor kits(W18E001+millenium MTM). The baffle is 10" wide instead of the 9" of the Odin/Thor. The box volume is about identical to the Odin at approximately 1.2 cubic feet and the tuning frequency is slightly higher than that of the Odin. I bought them used and was disappointed with the sound. I modeled the stock crossover with Matlab. It turns out it wasn't even nulling the W18E001 breakup peak correctly. The notch was a kHz too high. The tweeter circuit was bizarre with a simple first order highpass with a notch at 1 kHz. Needless to say I scrapped the design and tried out Odin crossovers.

Surprisingly, this didn't improve things much. There was too much lower midrange and a piercing upper midrange (3 kHz range). The treble was too supressed as well. I know the baffle step compensation is not quite correct but this doesn't account for all the problems.

I began tweaking the crossover using a Matlab simulation of the driver electrical and acoustic responses (Seas frequency response charts) as a guide. I've also been using a DEQ2496 with a 62 band RTA to get real in-room responses and verify driver phase coherence. This is far from ideal but I've been able to get them sounding very good. The basic topology of the crossover remains but I've changed several values and am currently adding a lower midrange 2dB attenuator (RLC) to the woofer circuit.

The port resonance is really not too big an issue since they are rear ported, but I wanted to attenuate it if possible. Unfortunately the port is glued in very well so I can't experiment with different configurations.

My experience with the Odin crossover makes me wonder about the performance of kits which have been around for several years. Even though the same model, the drivers have probably changed consideraby over that length of time.

Hi all,

did an unscientific test with perforated tube and result was positive to reduce midirange leakage from the port. Also, with quick check in WindISD port effective length seems to be in ballpark what Pit Hinder said, ~1.4 times the actual length with the perforations I made.

I have no clue how this affects the port response on high SPL. All I know that this single experiment reduced midrange peakiness in the port, and raised the port resonating frequency.

the ports are 100mm plumbing pipe, 26cm long. I drilled 8 holes with 8mm bit to the midway of the pipe and another 8 to quarter length. I first taped the holes with gaffers tape and then removed the tape revealing some of the holes at a time. It seemed that the mid leakage and low tuning frequency pretty much walked hand in hand with the amount of open holes.
I don't have outer shell or damping for the holes, they breathe freely to the enclosure.

If one makes a speaker with ported woofer and high crossover to mid and find nastines in midrange by measurements and listening tests this might be a good tweak to try ;) Make port 1.4 times too long, drill some holes and adjust the low resonance to target with tape.

Attachments

• comparison.png
    comparison.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20190324_112558_resized_20190324_115226139.jpg
    IMG_20190324_112558_resized_20190324_115226139.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20190324_114516_resized_20190324_115227392.jpg
    IMG_20190324_114516_resized_20190324_115227392.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 111
  • midholes.jpg
    midholes.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.