Car speakers for home use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys sorry if this has been covered have tried to search but to no avail....

I am intersted in building a home stereo which will eventually be a 5+1 system but at the moment I want to test the concept of building the speakers from car audio components... Main reasons being I already have collected most of the gear I need to do it, and Im a cheapskate who likes wee projects!

I want to build a set of large enclosures (between bookshelf and floor stander size) using polished wood (love that look!) with some high quaility car audio components (6.5inch woofer+1inch tweeter with passive xover). I already have a 4x75WRMS at 14.5V 0.05THD amp...

Am having trouble finding the specs I need to build a sweet enclosure for any of the speakers I am looking at.

As these speakers are usually door mounted am I even barking up the wrong tree thinking about enclosure volume as 95% of applications will not have a sealed enclosure being mounted in the car door?

I am aiming mainly for musical clarity and staging etc I dont want to frighten the neigbours but with 75W RMS I should be able to get decent volume as well no?

Have looked at JBL,Alpine,Rockford Fosgate, Infinity ETC sites but they dont give you the QES, QMS, Fs, Qts and Vas values for the speakers and I dont know where to start finding these out, or even if they are important for a home audio application...

Or are car speakers completely innapropriate to use in a lounge?

Cheers, and thanks in advance for your advice!!

Matt

You don't really explain why you're considering car speakers for a home application, other than being a "cheapskate" - you say you have most of the "gear" but you are still shopping for speakers.

Why not just get some home units that have the T/S parameters published (which are indeed important for proper design)? There are plenty of decent drivers & designs out there for tight budgets - so if you let us know what your budget actually is that will help with suggestions. You also say you want to get high quality car speakers, so apparently you have at least a little money to spend - one more reason to just get high quality home units.

You can purchase equipment & software to measure speakers, but also remenber that most car speakers are 4 ohms resistance while most home are 8 ohms, which will impact design and must be considered for your amplifier.

Yeah, open baffle is the easy way out with car speaks. Open baffle and some way to EQ the bass back in, and possibly a goodly amount of amplification to keep that EQ from clipping the amp.

I had been running car audio on OB for years and thought it was pretty sweet. Got a pair of Pioneer B20s for Christmas, and in the same baffle but with less EQ, I am getting very noticeably better sound. The B20s are just entry level quality around here . . .

Kensai

I've often wondered the same thing. Car audio drivers don't sound all that bad really and often you can get some reputable drivers pretty cheap when people upgrade.

Anyway, I ran across this on another site a couple of days ago:
http://www.resolution-loudspeakers.co.uk/

Once you read through all the same old stuff you've heard before it looks like it boils down to some tri-axials set in some t-lines enclosures.

For a lounge, where it appears you pretty much want good sound instead of reference sound, why don't you try making something similar to them.

R/
Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.