ATC drivers : models

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ermes said:
i have already seen it,but i need of more parameters.

.........also dimensions........

b.r.

Well virtually all the relevant TS are included and there's also the dimensions of the drivers included. For example, I can tell you that the 12" SB75-314 is 316mm in diameter has a baffle recess depth of 14mm, an overall depth of 150mm and requires a baffle cutout of 286mm. All that was taken from the spec sheet.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ermes said:
so,the datas are not complete.

Must be the language barrier, I'm sorry I don't speak Italian because maybe this would have been that bit easier.

You asked about parameter and dimensions, saying they were not in the PDF's. They are. What you really meant was measurements right?

If so then ATC don't publish them. I've got a few plots for the SM75-150S, SB75-234SC and SB75-375SC that I took awhile ago, Ralph has also published data on the ATC SM75-150S.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ermes said:
i don't think is the language barrier.

the datas on atc site are incomplete.

i find more complete the seas datas,don't you?

Yes, you'd think for the money that ATC ask then a whole host of plots should be in order but sadly that would likely make people scratch their heads and say "not worth the money!".

Quite a few of the high end manufacturers do it because it allows them to focus soley on marketing speak, self promotion and loads of glowing subjectives. ATC prides itself on being one of the big suppliers of studio monitors and their selling approach is to push the build quality (which is superb) and the fact they have sold studio monitors to all the big names such as Sony, Paramount, Universal etc. etc. It a slightly arrogant approach that expects a leap of faith from the buyer based on reputation. It does work well for them though.

Maybe another reason for the lack of measurements: I got the distinct impression when dealing with them that the driver sales to them was an extremely small part of their business. And Bob Polley, who is one of the main guys down there, even said that they simply don't have enough time to build drivers for individual sale these days.

If measurements are important then it might be better to go for the Seas instead. They're much much cheap too.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ermes said:
ok,think like you want,but i'm absolutely not agree with you.

the datas must be complete.

also accuton is reguarded industry but it has all fine datas on its site.........

WTF!?

Quit with the attitude. I just tried offering advice and even offered up measurements that I'd taken of various ATC drivers I've had in the past.

If your aim was to start an ATC bashing thread then please be more clear about it next time instead of wasting others time.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Puggie said:
Why should ATC publish more data? they are producing as many drivers as the need and are selling them all, they are doing plenty to be where they want to be, why do more??

Well put.

Their bread and butter is studio monitors. The driver side of things is vastly under developed simply because it works perfectly well as is. I don't think ATC really care if they sell individual drivers or not because sooner or later they're shifted off the shelf and put into their studio monitors then sold for even greater profit. Its simple economics that for something with so little turnover then why invest time and effort in fleshing out the marketing and literature for it?

I'll admit that its daunting at first when considering buying drivers from them, especially considering the cost. But ATC simply don't make bad or average drivers. Are they value for money? Well considering the materials used, the hand built aspect and subjective performance I'd say maybe depending on just how much money matters. These are really money not much of an issue drivers. If your wanting best bang for your buck then the ATC's will be dissappointing but in outright terms some of the drivers are difficult to beat at any price IMO.

If your spending this money on drivers then you should also have a suitable measuring setup to test the drivers too. That does mean you have to buy a driver or two to test but I imagine only a small percentage would be disappointed with the sound.

But ATC simply don't make bad or average drivers.

I own two ATC 9" pro mid-woofers (that are going to be used in a bass-box one day) and I can confirm that their build quality is excellent.

I had the opportunity to listen to a pair of their active monitors (SCM 100) recently and I can confirm that they are excellent.
But it is not easy to draw conclusions to the bare drivers from that - since the outcome is heavily depending on the developers ability to integrate all the components into a good system.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.