Dynapleats dp-12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone ever heard of this drivers? I'm not even sure how it works exactly. Looks like a ribbon driver.

Its sold in a store near where I live... and I was wondering about its capabilities to be used as a mid.. or even as surround speakers... who knows, i cant find any info about it :|

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
DYNAPLEATS

Hi,

Years ago these speakers sounded very promising on paper.
The idea was to drive a flat,synthetic diafragm from the centre to create an ideal point source.

Although I still remember some of the sales hype I picked up at some Hi-Fi exhibitions I visited the company disapeared a number of years later.
I recall they compared the sound pattern emanating from the unit to the effect one gets by throwing a pebble into a pond,ripples travelling from the center outwards.

IMO,if you can lay your hands on a number of these units cheap,why not use them for some project?

Cheers,;)

DynaPleats

THere was a great article in Speaker Builder a few years back using the dynapleats in a line source. The only place that I know of that still carries them is Addison in Montreal. If you are interested I could look up the article for you. I seem to remember there being a need for a resonance trap circuit and then they became rather smooth in response.

Mark

Thanks for the link fdegrove,

Mark,
hehe, well thats where I saw em, in that Addison..

That article would be great, because the more I look into those speakers, the more I see a good midrange.
My next diy will probably use them if I can find enough specs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.