Anyone use the cheap Pioneer 8" Coaxial? Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone use the cheap Pioneer 8" Coaxial? Questions

Has anyone used the PIONEER B20EC82-51FX-Q Coaxial Ceiling speaker from parts express?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paper cone with poly foam surround. 2-1/2" tweeter. Full range coaxial offers great fidelity and sound. Perfect for P.A. and ceiling type applications. * Power handling: 35 watts RMS/50 watts max * Voice coil diameter: 1" * Impedance: 8 ohms * Frequency response: 50-18,000 Hz * Magnet weight: 10 oz. * Fs: 50 Hz * SPL: 94 dB 1W/1m * Vas: 2.83 cu. ft. * Xmax: 1.0mm * Qms: 2.51 * Qes: .61 * Qts: .49 * Net weight: 3 lbs. * Manufacturer model number: B20EC82-51FX-Q * Dimensions: A: 8-1/8", B: 7-1/4", C: 3-1/2", D: 3-1/8", E: 1".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder how this would sound (compared to the other Pioneer 8"),mounted like an open baffle speaker, but used with a rear foam baffle like this:
l237xt652-f.jpeg

Technically would no longer be open baffle dipole, correct?

This pjoject, I want this to be cheap and dirty, quick and fun. I want to build an open baffle-like speaker with reasonable midrange, and later mate this with subs

Wiill I get atleast reasonable midrange results using a low power T-amp, running an open baffle design , using either those Pioneers mentioned or Audio Nirvanas, or Fostex 6.5" varieties?

As I understand Open Baffle is best mated with higher power amps?
But is that mostly to achieve adequate low-end response and overall better dynamics?

Will those foam baffles improve any kind of performance using lower power and the single baffle board design?

thanks

Those foam `baffles` as you called them are to keep dust and other junk from up in the false ceiling space from falling into the back of the speaker cone I believe. It sure won`t help the bass any and there usually isn`t much bass to be had in a hung false ceiling install anyhow. I don`t see why these should not work OK on open baffles with a T, you meant Tube amp right? ;)

The frequency response shown on the PE website is really ragged in the top end and there is a huge dip at 6 KHz on axis. I`m sure I wouldn`t be able to listen to these and enjoy them. I think you can do better for low dollars with something else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.