Budget system / Realistic Nova-10's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked up this Pioneer VSX D510 receiver off ebay cheap. Now i'm inclined to put together some type of speaker system.

The only things I have to work with are these Realistic/Radioshack Nova-10's. They're 50w max @ 8ohms. Walnut cabinets with 8" woofers, 2" or 2 1/2" cone tweeters, and 8" passive radiators. Since the receiver is 100w x 5, I was considering replacing the components with something more hefty.

I couldnt find many options for woofers or tweeters that would suit me. Parts Express is the only place I know of, and they didnt have many cone tweeters to work with, and the woofer selection was lacking. The cabinet is 1.5 cubic ft.

For rear speakers, I was thinking of getting a Dayton BR-1 2-way speaker kit.

I spent all of my money on my car, so my budget is minimal. Somewhere around 150 for both front and rears.

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks

Nova-10

I have a pair that I rescue from the Goodwill. See pic. I knew these back in the day and was thrilled to find them. I don't know that I would do anything with them with regards to a surround system...

They are old-school throughout and really do sound quite nice. They will not sound much like the BR-1's, however. Being old school, those woofers use a cloth surround versus the ever-popular rotting foam. They should last forever. Same with the tweeter. From my listening, the tweeter does a much better job than one would expect. It is slightly more than a paper cone, that little dome helps out a lot. The Nova-10's are an excellent effort from Radio Shack that illustrates they actually used to be in the business. I would keep them and enjoy them for what they are. They have a nice, warm vintage sound.

Save your money and get (5) BR-1's for a surround system. Add a Titanic subwoofer later. That would be a very respectable purchased system for cheap.

jocko

Attachments

• nova 10 small.jpg
    nova 10 small.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 542
You might consider upgrading the capacitors in the crossovers. Some of those old speakers used electrolytics, and even for cheap, you can do better. Plus those old caps don't age so gracefully. Open it up, check the values, and pop in some new ones. Parts Express sells reasonably priced polypropylene caps. There's also lots of cheap, decent film caps on eBay.

--Buckapound

Buckapound said:
You might consider upgrading the capacitors in the crossovers. Some of those old speakers used electrolytics, and even for cheap, you can do better. Plus those old caps don't age so gracefully. Open it up, check the values, and pop in some new ones. Parts Express sells reasonably priced polypropylene caps. There's also lots of cheap, decent film caps on eBay.

--Buckapound

Electrolytic caps are a nasty problem - they'll have dried up long ago.

Apexjr carries some very inexpensive film capacitors that would make excellent replacements.

They'll be louder than you expect at way less than the rated power.

I wouldn't expect to be able to peel the paint off the wall with them. That is not really the point. There is other equipment for that purpose. These, you may find, have a really warm midrange presence that was common years ago but has gone away. You may find it very refreshing. You may find it sucks. Vocals, guitars, and kick drums. Those kind of sounds will have more impact than with much of the newer speakers. Their dynamic range is limited, however. Old rock-and-roll ought to sound fat.

Oh yea. Do the caps.

jocko

jocko did you happen to pick up the rear speakers that I think came with them? they're Realistic so I cant imagine where else they would have come from

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

these look absolutely worthless. they're kind of funny. vented in the back so they're basically free-airs?

if these dont help me, then what would be a set of small rear speakers that would match the sound of these Nova-10's?

Man, I have never seen those. I don't recall anything being specifically sold with the Nova-10's that were part of a quad or surround. Those may just be generic speakers. From my recollection... Granted, Radio Shack products were going through huge transformation about then... The Nova-10's were out well after the big quadraphonic craze. Someone else may know better. I was pretty young then. ???.

Another pair of Nova-10's would sound similar. Again, however, I really see these as working in two-channel as a vintage pair. Four speakers in two-channel is just loud and confusing, IMO. If you want Home Theatre, there may be better options out there.

I have a pair of old Pioneer 3-way 12.00's that sound real similar to the Nova 10's. The hail from the same era. If you happened across a "good" make from the same era, Pioneer, Sansui, Technics you might have a decent match. There has to be thousands of old Pioneers. You could pick up another Nova 10. Beware of other "Nova's", they are likely much crappier than those. Radio Shack products were all over the place back then. Nova 10's were pretty good.

Funny, the Pioneer look is what RS copied. These "beauties" have actual formed wood lattice with metal retainers. Talk about retro. CS-88's, I think. My daughter uses them in her bedroom. Ha!. They sound pretty good.

Take a listen and decide if you like' em.

jocko

Attachments

• pioneerspeaker.jpg
    pioneerspeaker.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 205
This is a little hard to see... Note: They added a supertweeter at some point in the run of these. It extends the highs and makes the sound (otherwise paper cone tweeters) bearable by todays standards. Yes, the bass and mid-bass is boomy and colored. It grows of you, though. IMO.

jocko

Attachments

• pioneers3.jpg
    pioneers3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 112
haha.
RS did a real nice job copying Pioneer though. I was under the impression this was real wood until I popped the grille off.

those look nice.

there are so many options for caps. where would you recommend I buy them? Apex Jr. doesnt carry them with the values I need. and how accurate do the values have to be? 50v 6.8uf
and does the tolerance make a diff.? metalized or not?

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.