Nearfield monitor questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm interested in building a set of nearfield monitors. I've just spent 2 hours searching this site but have, thus far, only had my brain exploded beyond it's capacity. As a result, I have had to start another "newb thread", which I'm sure many of you are sick of seeing on here!

Regardless...

I am deciding between buying a pair of Event TR6s or going the DIY route. I have a budget of $800AUD ($630US - this how much TR6s cost in AU!). For For a rough idea of Australian prices, JX92Ss seem to go for around $260 each. I may be able to find them cheaper, as that was just the first price that popped up on google.

Here are some details:

- I produce electronic music (house mostly)
- The accoustic treatment options I have are extremely limited due to housing arrangements, so assume the worst (ghetto book case diffusors etc.)
- Current room dimensions are roughly 4.2m x 3.8m and I am in the centre of the 4.2m wall (speakers directed in the 3.8m length of the room - not ideal, but I can't change this)
- New room dimensions are roughly 2.5m x 3.5-4m (I will be moving house in a year or so)

I'm new to speaker design and have very little idea about what is involved. BUT, I am a projects person and am willing to put the effort in. I know there is no quick fix in this world.

With those things in mind, what sort of monitor is most suitable? Can anyone recommend any specific components, designs or kits? For $800AUD, what sort of quality can be achieved (in terms of the equivalent manufactured monitors)?

Thankyou :)

Hi echosystm,

welcome to the forum. :)

echosystm said:
As a result, I have had to start another "newb thread", which I'm sure many of you are sick of seeing on here!

Well... no, as you did it right.
You searched! ;)

I am deciding between buying a pair of Event TR6s or going the DIY route.

Okay, if you allow a very practical approach first: buy the best monitors you can afford and learn from them. Then advance on everything you learned from their construction, including component and build quality. ;)

I've been working with Event (active) monitors before and can't say they really dissapointed me. But there are truly better speakers out there, DIY or not!

If you really want to DIY, then no worries. Just accept a whole different order of magnitude of time and effort you'd have to invest. I'd say it really depends on when you need your monitors to be finished. But always consider the professional constructors a couple of years ahead - as a beginner, you'll usually be able to buy industrial quality cheaper than you can build yourself.

I'm new to speaker design and have very little idea about what is involved. BUT, I am a projects person and am willing to put the effort in. I know there is no quick fix in this world.

May I humbly suggest a subwoofer project to match your aquired monitors? A very good step into speaker DIY, reasonably easy to accomplish, can result in good quality even on a budget, involves every step of speaker design and manufacturing... and offers a lot of fun due to quick and direct feedback of your success. But speaking from experience, I wouldn't recommend a professional tool as a first project.

Please take this as a recommendation and personal experience from a single user only, YMMV. ;)
Let's also see what others will have to say.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

PS: There are a couple of monitor plans on the forums that can be retrieved by searching...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
If your primary interest is diy, then make some. The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook sixth edition has a nice project that would seem to fit your budget. If however, your primary interest is making music, then don't spend the time building, buy something off the shelf.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

Time isn't really a big factor. I already have an "OK" set of monitors, so waiting an extra 6 months or more isn't a problem for me. I'm a gadget guy and would rather go the DIY route just for the fun of it. However, I am obviously working with limited knowledge and a budget, so I want to ensure my $800 isn't going to be wasted when I could purchase something better for the same price.

In line with your comments sek, I completely agree. I'm not confident enough to actaully design the entire speaker myself. Seeing as I will be actually using this equipment at the centre of my studio, I would use a tried and tested design if I take the DIY route.

I have searched for designs on here, but have not had much luck finding any actual designs. The only one I managed to find was the HATT-MkIII (http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/HATT-III.html). Many of the entries into the project database were also broken links.

Can anyone recommend some of the more tried and tested designs?

Thanks.

I've heard some nice things about the Minimus 7's. You can score a pair on eBay for $30 or so, and crossover upgrades can be done using $10 worth of parts on ApexJr. Even if you don't really like 'em...you've only spent $40!

Zaphaudio is a good source of speaker design info - John Krutke (alias Zaphod) is known for excellent crossover design with no-nonsense engineering. He even has a design for a pair of mini-monitors.

Hmmm, I don't seem to like the distance between cone and dome in that project...

Let's see. We want something between the Event TR6 (cost effective) and SP8 (way better engineered) for the price of the TR6 or less.

You should specify your room size, listening distance and subwoofer uses, if need be.

Without subwoofer, I would also look into 8" woofers, as the combination 6.5"/1" is not too appropriate for house jobs. A system with two woofers is also possible and within budget. ;)

With subwoofer and for nearfield use in a moderately sized room, I'd definitely suggest the 6.5"/1" route, as you'll find this most widely accepted and kind of proven to work.

What about directivity? Do you need a correction of the monitors' frequency response that extends beyond the near field range? This decides wether you'll want to look into Wave Guides. Those are the most common design difference between Hifi and monitor speakers, among other things like build quality and warranty.

What about amplification and signal processing. Those don't come for free! :scratch:
I clearly recommend biamplification in the form of an active speaker enclosure with built in electronics. Even JBL, Event, etc. use Gainclone-like amplification and add a customized crossover to it. Definitely possible the DIY way, but definitely not easy, too. :cannotbe:

I guess after thinking through a couple of these points you can make distinct moves and we can make suggestions and recommendations. But before that, even a google search would yeld many results. Not that there are too many proven DIY studio monitor projects out there, though...

Again, my view is biased. This time, because I have already built a project like the one you're approaching (see attached picture). It is a SEAS-based 6.5"/1" design, comes with PEERLESS 10" subwoofer and five amplifier channels (GC style for woofers and tweeters, Class-D style for the subwoofer).

Hope this helps,
Sebastian.

Attachments

• img_1169.jpg
    img_1169.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 447
echosystm said:

They use "a Peerless Engineering 6" shielded woofer and an upgraded silk dome tweeter from Vifa in Denmark".

Any comments appreciated.

The PAE drivers are Vifa BC series and you can do much better and need much better for monitors. The studio monitor that pinkmouse mentioned are supposed to be very good but the drivers aren't cheap.

There are some more good projects here.
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

rabbitz said:

The PAE drivers are Vifa BC series and you can do much better and need much better for monitors. The studio monitor that pinkmouse mentioned are supposed to be very good but the drivers aren't cheap.

There are some more good projects here.
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

Thanks again for everyones replies!

I'm intrigued by Vance's monitors, I saw them just yesterday before I read this. The question is, how would they compare to TR6s? What kind of performance can I expect from them?

it's in fact a big lack in the diy community, i started diy with the same goal as you , but being much more ambitious and stupid, i wanted to design the speaker myself from scratch. So i did built amps, speakers enclosures, active LR crossovers, did my own pcbs, all that without having any "real" background in electronics, so needing to learn everything. i choosed cheap loudspeaker drivers, wich in the end was a good thing because i fried several of them in the process :D

my monitors finally worked ... for a couple months , before my lousy electronics started to do strange things. But in the time they worked they did pretty decent sound . Even if i'm not objective, i would have said they did pretty better than so called "pro" monitors in the 200- 600 range.

this was three years ago. Now i'm working on a monitors project , active with active filters, but i learned from my mistakes = I'm not gonna conceive the amps myself, because i don't have the patience and discipline, i'm gonna measure frequency and distortion wise my drivers, wich i have choosed seriously on several criterias, and lots of other little things.

In short, there is no "all-done" active monitor project. You have to keep in mind that the two key things in good monitors are controlled directivity and active amplification, and that no documented diy speaker around is giving the two.

But If i had to choose a passive diy design, i would choose the zaphaudio's waveguide TMM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.