Speaker workshop design program

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am new to this site, but needed to know if anyone has any experience using the design program from Speakerworkshop.com ?

I have downloaded this program along with another from TrueRTA. Althought TrueRTA is much more user friendly. Unfortunately after almost 3 days, I can not figure out how to use the SW program. Some parts are understandable in the index, but actually getting started, in my opinion seriously lacks some tutorial. It is definately not user friendly, or perhaps I am just dense.

None the less, can anyone help me? In addition. the speakers I need to test are a single driver covering the entire range from 20 to 20K and have no crossovers. So some parameters apply, and some do not.

I can also be reached at my email of dale @hhr-lasers.com I would appreciate anyones help or coments, or perhaps any other freeware programs that can run speaker specifics such as impedance, freq, free air, sealed box, pink noise, response curves, pulse tests etc.

Thanks,
Dale:confused:

Speakerworkshop.com

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses...
Unfortunately, the SW site will not accept my user log in.. I try to get in and it claims that someone else already has my email and password. I have tried to email them directly twice, but no response, so I am locked out. go figure.

I will attempt to look at the unoffical manual and recomended sites.
Dale:cool:

Yeah - SW is a little hard to get into, and also buggy, but once you understand it I think it is actually a very well designed program with a great UI. (Ok - I've nothing to compare it to).

There's basically 4 steps to modeling a speaker in SW (measurements aside)
1. Loading frequency and impedance plots for your drivers. Ideally you would measure these yourself on your intended baffle, using a program like BDS (?) to initially identify a candidate baffle geometry and driver placement (SW doesn't do / factor baffle diffraction response / baffle step compensation AFAIK).
2. Creating drivers and assigning the plots from 1.
3. Creating enclosures and assigning drivers from 2.
4. Creating a crossover (network in SW) then adding drivers, crossover components and generating the response and impedance curves

From 4. you can tweak manually, perturb components. Re-measure, import and start from 1. again (until you iterate enough 'till you're happy).

Let me know which step you are stuck on above (1 - 4) and I'll try to help.

Cheers,
DAvid.

:bawling: HI Dave,
DIY will still not let me communicate drirectly with you, so I must post.
Anyway, I have made all my test cables and downloaded the unofficial tutorials listed above. I am able to do some things, but can't get through the calibration and set up sequence of the tutorial.

I am not sure how to create a new sample tree. When you open SW it has a SWD sample tree set up on the left for you. My version will not let me enter data into the tree unless I use the original sample provided on SW. when I try to save data from tests or folders it simply tells me that I do not have permission to open the SWD files.

Actually I find SW a very very unfriendly program.
I need to do T/S data aquisition on my drivers and I can not get this lab set up and operating. I am running out of time and getting very very frustrated.

I need to generate graphic representaions of the impedance, freq response etc. I am stuck on section 2, page 46, entry 17 and 18. can not get SW to accept a save.

Guess I need to talk to somebody live with experience. I have tried to reach Claudio, but no response yet.
Dale.

First of all - I've never used speaker workshop to measure speaker frequency response or impedance. (Will be getting a mic / pre-amp soon).

However - whether you are importing existing frequency or impedance files into a SWD project, or recording your own measurements (which get saved in the SWD) - the problems should be the same (ie. writing to the SWD).

Sounds like an operating system / permissions issue? What O/S are you running?

Can you try and import an existing .FRD into your SWD file?

A very simple test
1. File new (to create a brand new SWD project)
2. Right click the top level folder and choose "import"
3. Select an FRD
4. You should see the FRD imported into SW.
5. File save and choose the path / enter the name of the SWD

Maybe I've missed your problem altogether but the above would prove whether you are able to write to an SWD.

Thanks,
David.

Hi Again Dave and hello Al
Thanks for the replies.
Al... I have tried a re-install. Seems somewhat better, cleared up some issues, but still not completely there. Perhaps just me.

Dave.. I am using Windows XP Pro and an up to date computer.
Not the fastest, but adequate with pentium 4, 2.6 Gig processor, 100 Gig hard drive and 1.2 gig RAM. At this point, I am able to write to the SWD files.

I think the problem lies with me.. Just not up to speed on this program. I am able to get through some of it, but only up to about page 47 now on cal in section 2. This has taken almost 7 days including making the cables and test jigs.

My intentions are to run tests on T/S pameters and box calculations on drivers that I build from scratch. Reasonably complex stuff. But I am from the old school and always did things with individual test equipment. I have the meters, scopes generators etc, but no x,y plotter and no way to generate graphs or print outs. I need to see what is really happening with my drivers.

I have been able to enter some data, but the cal tests are not coming up right and there are a few places that I don't understand the computerease, I guess.

For what it's worth, I am to my knowledge the only guy left on the planet that builds Ohm Walsh F and A style speakers from scratch or refurbishes and upgrades the old ones. These are the beasts I am trying to test with the computer aided testing.

Thanks again.
Dale:)

Hi Pedroskova!:)
Thanks for the recomend on ARTA.. I have looked at it and will go back to determine if it will suffice. I appreciate the help.

Hello Claudio... sorry did not get the email.. or perhaps it was deleted in spam. Needs a real standout subject line or spam deletes it. I get on average about 350 email a day. Sorry. Please resend and change the subject to something like Hello Dale from Claudio. Make sure your mail is... dale@hhr-lasers.com

I am still stuck on pg. 47 and trying to get the functions to work.
I don't understand some of the anotations in the unofficial guide.

I am using your jigs, as they were just a tad easier to make than the Wallin jig. At the moment I am trying to ascertain the functionality and calibration of my sound card. I have a loop cable in place and am following the guide verbatum. My sound card shows that it is fullly compatable, now I think it is just a matter of undertsanding all the details of this program and how it works. I am sure it would be great if I could understand it.

Unfortunately, I am many things, but a computer expert is not one of them. Can't be great at everything..LOL.:)

Here is another thing that may or may not mean anything.. I have downloaded the program off my main computer and loaded it onto disc. I then have loaded this disc into a second computer that is also fully compatable, but got SW off my business computer. I am using the second system as my testing lab. Thi second system is not capable of going on line, as I do not have networking on my DSL.

I am going to try very hard to get more understanding of this thing today.. if that fails, I will post where I am to the best of my ability and see if some of you can't walk me through it. If any of you are here in the states and would be willing to talk to me on the phone, perhaps you could walk me through it live. Drop me an email with your phone and I will call you.

As for my drivers, the basic driver already exists and so does the box, I have designed many improvements and I need to implement them and have the ability to "tune" the cone and also see what changes my augmentations produce. Hence, my need for grapic analysis and T/S parameters. The units look great and sound good too, but they can be better..

Once again my appreciation and thanks to all of you for the kind help. It is also great making new friends.
Dale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.