Help choosing drivers for mini-monitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2007, 05:20 AM   #1
stevens is offline stevens  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help choosing drivers for mini-monitors

I am trying to build a pair of monitors that would do well on a desk and for near field listening. I would prefere to have the enclosures no larger than 10L so that they dont take up too much space on my desk. I have been looking at a few designs with the Seas Excel W15CY and the Seas L15. Which of these designs would be a better performer as a full range speaker? I do plan on eventually adding a sub but that will not be for a while. I will only be able to give the speakers around 60 watts so I think that the SS Revelator may be out of the question due to its sensetivity.
There is also the possibility to use a larger 7" driver in a sealed enclosure in order to achieve my size goals.
Most of the source music will be played off of a computer and although my music is encoded at a high bitrate most of it is still lossy so I am a little unsure if it is really worth it to step up to the seas excel line. Can anyone comment on wether it would be worth the extra cost to use higher resolution driver lines given my source music?
Also any and all design suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for the help.
Steven
Old 14th January 2007, 12:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Stevens!

Not sure wether you wanted a total volume of 10l or internal, maybe this is something for you;

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/HATT-III.html

The performance vs price is very good (according to those who have them) and it's a neat little speaker for your desk!
Old 14th January 2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Having listened quite a bit to the 3,500 Ascendo C7 speakers I would highly recommend the Seas coaxial drivers.

You could use one T18RE (the new one) in a 15L vented cab. It would get you down to around 50Hz with a nice slow roll-off if ported at 30Hz. They sound truly excellent for the dosh, even in a 3.5K speaker.
Old 14th January 2007, 03:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Cool Desk top Speakers

Hello,
Looking for drivers.
Go to www.partsexpress.com you can get what ever you need. All specs are listed, they offer many high end drivers. Viffa, Morel, Peerless, Dayton Audio, and many more. Good luck.

Old 14th January 2007, 08:39 PM   #5
stevens is offline stevens  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies. I dont think that I want to use a 4.5" driver due to the lack of low end. I do realize that I wont achieve the greatest low end response give the size of speaker I am looking for but I think that I would much rather have a 5.5" woofer.
I am thinking that I have settled on the L15 mainly becuase it has a lot more excursion than the W15. I really like the Zaph Audio L15 design but have a few questions. It seems to me that he designed the cabinet around the readily available PE enclosure. Would it be possible to alter the cabinet a little? I would prefer to to maybe use a smaller cabinet closer to 8L as opposed to the 11L his design calls for. What do you all think is the reasonably smallest cabinet I can use for the L15? Also my speakers will have to be placed closer to the wall than is optimal so I was thinking about relocating the port to the front baffle. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks again.
Steven

Hide this!Advertise here!