Mini-Cigar pc speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some HiVi B3s coming next week and I'm down in my garage and spot these cigar boxes and thought, wow, those would be kind of cool looking as PC speakers. Then I notice some short speaker stands I had laying around.

The only thing is these boxes are a little thin and need some beefing up. How much reinforcement do you all think is necessary here?

The boxes are 6.5h x 4.5 x4.75d.

cb_hivi3.jpg

cb_hivi1.jpg

I'll call em the Mini-Cigars.

You could get some 1/2in mdf and liquid nails and double up all the walls of the box. Or you could try the method that Spendor uses, use thin walls and some sort of lossy damping material attached to the walls to keep resonance down? Im also looking to build some small speakers using the 3-4in hivi or tangbang drivers. I plan on using them with a small active sub with my new lcd tv. Good luck.

Im going to be using a Panasonic SA-xr50 receiver to power the satelites. As for the sub im not sure just yet, but im thinking of using the 8in Apexjr sub Apexjr sub or the 8in TangBang W8-740c. Since my receiver has a subwoofer output with a low pass filter Im going to just use my trusty old NAD 2155 in bridged mono mode.

Have you built speakers using these little hivi drivers before?? Im a little unsure about such a small single driver. Im only using them from 150hz up. So im hoping that since they are free from playing bass, and will only be used in a small 14x16ft room for tv/movies they will be sufficeint. I think ill try building a pair and see how they sound. I may have to go with a slightly larger 2-way. Good luck

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Those are cool.

1/2 MDF would certainly do the trick, but seems like a bit much. I just picked up some 5/16" hardboard for a similar use. That should be enough to stiffen those C-boxes, right? Or even 1/4" - they aren't very big, those boxes.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

Yeah Pano, mahalo, I'm with you. 5/16" feels like it should be good. A layer of liquid nails and the hardboard should do it. As far as the Sonic-T goes, I bought an Yamaha 6.1 AV receiver off craig's list for $100. Not very diy but I wanted a remote and the active xover. I might try one of those BBs Insignias as my Sub!
I really like those cigar boxes. The shop by my office has a ton of these and they vary in size, type of wood, finish. I got these for $6. I got a bigger one with big thick walls but I only got one! Maybe I should build a mini-sub in it. The shop owner says he sells mostly to guitar builders who I presume use the woods as inlays.

Hi,

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

Mounting the B3S in the side will make the BSC options more accurate.
If you mount them on the front use the 0.6 from top to 1 from one side
to 1.6 from the other side ratios (0.6:1 <=> 1:1.6) to smooth response.

Note the above use a 3L enclosure which is oversized for Vas = 0.8L.
1.5L to 2L is all that is needed so reinforce the box any way you like.

Cute they may be but they are viciously insensitive. Small amps will
only make sense if used nearfield with no BSC. Farfield an AV amplifier
for power and filtering with subwoofer is the sensible option.

No subwoofer the NS3 is a better option than the B3S :

http://www.zaphaudio.com/archives.html

:)/sreten.

Found stuff is great! I'm in the final planning of a line isolation box for low consumption front end devices. Will use a wine box, 6 identical transformers pulled from an old workshop, and wire them to stepdown then stepup the power, so the primarys connect to the wall and the load, and the secondarys are connected together with a small cap across them.

They're modest trafos but big enough for digital sources, methinks.

Oh, wait, that's all off topic! DARNIT!!

Well.... you could try wineboxes too, as a cheap source of basic wooden enclosures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.