Konus audio Essence

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
LBHajdu said:
I to am planning on building a pair of the Jordan JX92S TL speakers based off the reference design on the Jordan website at some point.

One thing that can be done to improve the TL is to remove the sharp bands from the line. I have drawn a picture of the type of change I’m talking about. A very small compensation in volume may or may not be needed.

Bob Brines did some experiments with smoothing the corners and found that, in his experiments at least, it made little or no difference.

Based on modeled designs i have seen for TLs using this Jordan, the biggest benefit will probably come from making the line xsection larger.

dave

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
LBHajdu said:
If as BrianGT says “the Essence is far, far superior” then I should very much like to know a little more about it. Perhaps someone who owns an Essence could with the aid of a mirror look up the transition line of the Essence to see if at least the last 1/3 of the tl is the same and report back on what they see.

It wasn't my opinion that the Essence is better, it was a quote from AudioAsylum forums. I haven't built my cabinet for my pair of JX92s. I would also like to see inside the Essence. The port location is exactly the same size and location as the Jordan reference design.

I would imagine that it is a very similar design. When building it, more rigidity from using 13-layer baltic birch plywood might help, along with some tweaking of the stuffing get it sounding better.

I like the idea of the rounded corners, but in practicallity I don't know how much of a difference it would make. I read the it helps out for back-loaded horn speaker designs to round the last part of the horn.

I am considering making a simple bass reflex box for my JX92S first for comparison. I have heard that Jim Griffin's Jordan JX92S bass reflex enclosure sounds good (won diy2001 atlanta for best speaker).

Would making the edges double thickness and putting a 1 1/2" roundover on them be helpful? (i just picked up a large 1 1/2" bit and am just thinking of ways to use it).

--
Brian

I have found this picture of the cover of a German diy audio magazine with what look like very interesting plans for the jx92s. I just wanted to share it with all of you. It looks like the “Das Wundervolle Duevel Bella Luna” (I have no idea what that means) you can see a picture of it at: bellaluna

Attachments

• hh5-2001-mi.jpg
    hh5-2001-mi.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,847
Has anyone found more information about the differences of DIY TL and the Konus Essence.

How about the differences in sound quality between different materials like MDF and birch plywood.

Something tels me to choise the MLTL diy version but I kind of like the original Konus looks so much better......

I hae built one set of Jordan TL speakers out of 18mm MDF with an additional 18mm pine front. The only thing that I changed on these speakers was the rounding off of all the transmission line corners including the exit. It was asked whether 18mm MDF was enough thickness. To me with the bracing of the tranmission line itself and the pine front, the speaker was extremely sturdy. I also used a little stuffing in the vent to remove the booming in the lower bass. About 100 hours of braking in the Jordan's and you have a wonderful full range speaker. They are very strong, especially in voice and jazz, blues, but not on heavy orchestra or heavy rock. I hope this will give you some info on the speakers.

Joe

I hae built one set of Jordan TL speakers out of 18mm MDF with an additional 18mm pine front. The only thing that I changed on these speakers was the rounding off of all the transmission line corners including the exit. It was asked whether 18mm MDF was enough thickness. To me with the bracing of the tranmission line itself and the pine front, the speaker was extremely sturdy. I also used a little stuffing in the vent to remove the booming in the lower bass. About 100 hours of braking in the Jordan's and you have a wonderful full range speaker. They are very strong, especially in voice and jazz, blues, but not on heavy orchestra or heavy rock. I hope this will give you some info on the speakers.

Also built a pair of these exactly as JVA is describing, I also agree with him on the strong and weak points of the speaker. The only thing I would like to add is that they are a bit picky regarding placement. With a 30° toe in they sound absolutely marvelous.
Just my two cents

Regards

Attachments

• jordan fin_01.jpg
    jordan fin_01.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,237
About rounding of the corners,did you make this as suggested in the picture (page 2,bottom) ?
How did you do it.
I was thinking of bending a thin MDF to make the shape and then fill the space behind with something.Should I use hard (polyester and sand mix) or absorbant material as rockwool to do this?

What do you think about rounding the corners with perforated sheet-metal or MDF and then filling them with something absorbant ? This way it may not be necessary to add stuffing to the pipe later.

I have not started building my speakers yet,but trying to figure out everything before the start.

I'm not an expert, this was my first DIY project, but MDF seems good to me. Maybe you can use some heavy material to make the complete box heavier. I read somewhere that original Essence weight is 16.2 kilos, and mines seem lighter. Are you going to stuff the line? I didn't. Just used the felt like described ar Jordan's site. Maybe you can tune it later with some insulation at the end of the line (some people did that). Are you going to use BSC?

Best regards
Voçe e portugueis?

I read one review of the DIY Konus essence and there was mentioned that maybe some stuffing added to the corners of the transmission line would help to the booming bass.That's where I got the idea.

I was also thinking of useing birch plywood and "painting" it with epoxi inside and then fitting veneer with epoxi as well.but don't know if it is worth it.Simple MDF would be so much easyer to buy in small quantities cutted to size.

I have built few speakers before but this will (if I make them) be the first serious project with veneer and all.It would be very tempting to make exact replicas of Konus essence.....really like the original looks.

Do not know about BSC yet.......but I think not.

p.s. sou Finlandes,moro em Portugal

Hi, altough this item is nealy two years old, it`s actual to me. I`ve planed to build also a pair of essence clones with JX92S. Did somebody build this shortly and what are the results? What design did he use? According to me the JX92S is the best for this but did someone used a other brand driver? I`m very curious to hear the results.
Thanks from a newbee on diy-speakers :)
Bye the way; I wish all of you a healthy and peaceful 2008!
Regards,

Jordan Transmission line design

I built two Jordan transmission line speakers. I used MDF for the back and internals but used oak for the top, sides, front and base. I also put fillets at the bends of the line. I think the sound is excellent and is better than my small BBC monitors.

Attachments

• jordan_4a[1].jpg
    jordan_4a[1].jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 872
Jordan Transmission line design

Hi James, thanks for your comment and pictures about your Jordan Transmission line design. It`s a great help for me and it confirm my idea to round the bends on the inside. It`s a good idea to use mdf in combination with oak. The oak looks very nice and solid. I will probably go for baltic birch or so. According to the hole size you used the jx92s on this. Maybe there are people who used other drivers for this design? Thanks James and as soon as i got results on my project i will place the pictures here.

I used the JX92S which I purchased directly from Mrs Jordan in Wales. http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/systems/jx92_system.html
The wood was roughly sawn timber 2.5mm thick which I planed down to thickness after roughly cutting to shape with an hand held circular saw. I then cut it to shape on the table saw at a woodwork club I attend for 4 hours a week.
My biggest difficulty was making the hole for the driver. I used a router with an home made wooden trammel and practised on a piece of pine before cutting the oak. I then made the recess with a recess bit in the router. I made the fronts slightly oversize and then planed them after the glue was set. I bought the terminals on ebay from the USA. My wood cost £90. You can buy complete kits from http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/prod146.htm at great expense,
Good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.