Konus audio Essence

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I am planning on building a pair of the Jordan JX92S TL speakers based off the reference design on the Jordan website:
http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/enclosures.html

It has the same exact external dimensions as the Konus Essence, but I have heard that the internals are different. Here is the picture of the internals of the Jordan V/TL reference design. The V/TL designation implies that if you make the dashed lines solid, it is a TL speaker design, and if you don't, then it is a vented speaker design. I am going to build a pair in a month or so, after I finish up some other projects. I got my drivers in the mail today. They are good looking.

--
Brian

Attachments

• jx92s-vented-tl.gif
    jx92s-vented-tl.gif
    11 KB · Views: 3,271
Joined 2002
Here is the link fixed:
http://homepage.mac.com/sead/products/essence.htm

Here is a review of the Konus Essence from AA:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=speakers&n=79381

I have read other places that while it is similar to the Jordan TL reference design, there are some internal differences, and that Sead Lejlic started with the Jordan TL reference design and made a couple of small changes to it that improve the sound of the speakers. Also, their cabinet is supposedly dipped in resin, which makes it much more rigid...

I am going to make a pair out of mdf.. will only cost $25 in wood to see what they sound like.

It seems similar to the gaincard... take a decent component with a reference design from the manufacturer, and tweak it to make it a bit better and market it for a large sum of money.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
Here is one's inmate's interesting comment from the AA board:

--start message
Posted by Ivo (A) on January 01, 2003 at 03:56:56
Yes, the speakers look identical to the speakers on the Ted Jordan's website - but only from the outside.
I've been listening to the Konus Audio Essence speakers (not 47 labs) for more than a year. The only thing I can say is that they sound much better than the speakers made upon the internet plans. I know that because I tried both speakers in my listening room. It is true that Jordan's DIY speakers sometimes sound "hollowish and cabinety", but not the Essence - not even a trace of that!
The wonderful Jordan 92S drivers are the same in both cabinets but the Essence is far, far superior!
Best wishes and Happy New Year!

Ivo Sunjic
--end message

--
Brian

You could try and varnish the inside with a couple of layers. I don't know if that would affect the sound very much, it might work as an extra, strengthening layer (like plywood).

I would use 25mm MDF instead of 18mm as indicated on the Jordan plan. At least for all the outside walls.

Totem Acoustics uses veneer outside AND inside. That will increase rigidity too.

Marc

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The JX92 is getting many, many accolades.

For a TL for these, i'd run some models using Martin King's software. The Jordan design (very similar to a Jordan-Watts design i did in 1976) seems a bit shy on box volume to get the most out of the driver.

Rick Shulz is using the JX92 as a design example in his upcoming alphaTL article in audioXpress.

dave

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How about using the Oris horn/ Avant Garde horn idea with the Jordans? The advantage would be getting the efficiency from 88 db up to maybe 95 db?

Here's info on the Orris parts click around on the site and there is a lot of info:

http://www.welbornelabs.com/oris.htm

There is info online about designing your own tractrix horns, which is the most expensive part

I'm interested in opinions

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dave: I ordered my Fostex FE 208 EZ drivers yesterday, they might work well in an Oris type horn also?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
How about using the Oris horn/ Avant Garde horn idea with the Jordans? The advantage would be getting the efficiency from 88 db up to maybe 95 db?

But they would still be 88 dB in the mid & HF bands.

Dave: I ordered my Fostex FE 208 EZ drivers yesterday, they might work well in an Oris type horn also?

They might well do. You should go look thru Bert's Forum and see if it has been asked already and if not you can ask the man himself.

dave

Joined 2002
planet10 said:

For a TL for these, i'd run some models using Martin King's software. The Jordan design (very similar to a Jordan-Watts design i did in 1976) seems a bit shy on box volume to get the most out of the driver.

Rick Shulz is using the JX92 as a design example in his upcoming alphaTL article in audioXpress.

dave

Dave,

Any clue on when that aXp issue is coming out?

--
Brian

Joined 2002
planet10 said:

I am trying to do some mathcad simulations. I have all of the parameters except for the voice coil inductance for the jx92s. Do you have any clue where I can find this? It isn't listed on the Jordan JX92S spec page ...

--
Brian

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BrianGT said:
I am trying to do some mathcad simulations. I have all of the parameters except for the voice coil inductance for the jx92s. Do you have any clue where I can find this? It isn't listed on the Jordan JX92S spec page ...

It is not really a critical spec. You can pretty much get away with Vas, Qt, and Fs (i think).

I have also seen a geometric method of estimating it from the impedance curves. I can't remember where.

The date on the aXp article is unknown at this time. I hope it is soon.

dave

I to am planning on building a pair of the Jordan JX92S TL speakers based off the reference design on the Jordan website at some point.

One thing that can be done to improve the TL is to remove the sharp bands from the line. I have drawn a picture of the type of change I’m talking about. A very small compensation in volume may or may not be needed.

If as BrianGT says “the Essence is far, far superior” then I should very much like to know a little more about it. Perhaps someone who owns an Essence could with the aid of a mirror look up the transition line of the Essence to see if at least the last 1/3 of the tl is the same and report back on what they see.

Leve

Attachments

• tl.jpg
    tl.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,965
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.