Konus audio Essence - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2003, 07:12 PM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LBHajdu
I to am planning on building a pair of the Jordan JX92S TL speakers based off the reference design on the Jordan website at some point.

One thing that can be done to improve the TL is to remove the sharp bands from the line. I have drawn a picture of the type of change I’m talking about. A very small compensation in volume may or may not be needed.
Bob Brines did some experiments with smoothing the corners and found that, in his experiments at least, it made little or no difference.

Based on modeled designs i have seen for TLs using this Jordan, the biggest benefit will probably come from making the line xsection larger.

dave
Old 8th January 2003, 05:48 AM   #22
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by LBHajdu
If as BrianGT says “the Essence is far, far superior” then I should very much like to know a little more about it. Perhaps someone who owns an Essence could with the aid of a mirror look up the transition line of the Essence to see if at least the last 1/3 of the tl is the same and report back on what they see.
It wasn't my opinion that the Essence is better, it was a quote from AudioAsylum forums. I haven't built my cabinet for my pair of JX92s. I would also like to see inside the Essence. The port location is exactly the same size and location as the Jordan reference design.

I would imagine that it is a very similar design. When building it, more rigidity from using 13-layer baltic birch plywood might help, along with some tweaking of the stuffing get it sounding better.

I like the idea of the rounded corners, but in practicallity I don't know how much of a difference it would make. I read the it helps out for back-loaded horn speaker designs to round the last part of the horn.

I am considering making a simple bass reflex box for my JX92S first for comparison. I have heard that Jim Griffin's Jordan JX92S bass reflex enclosure sounds good (won diy2001 atlanta for best speaker).

Would making the edges double thickness and putting a 1 1/2" roundover on them be helpful? (i just picked up a large 1 1/2" bit and am just thinking of ways to use it).

--
Brian
Old 11th January 2003, 05:33 AM   #23
LBHajdu is offline LBHajdu  United States
diyAudio Member

I have found this picture of the cover of a German diy audio magazine with what look like very interesting plans for the jx92s. I just wanted to share it with all of you. It looks like the “Das Wundervolle Duevel Bella Luna” (I have no idea what that means) you can see a picture of it at: bellaluna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hh5-2001-mi.jpg (86.4 KB, 1758 views)
Old 16th August 2003, 04:26 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT

I am trying to do some mathcad simulations. I have all of the parameters except for the voice coil inductance for the jx92s. Do you have any clue where I can find this? It isn't listed on the Jordan JX92S spec page ...

--
Brian
Did you ever find the answer to your question? Or find out how to estimate the value from the impedance curve?
Old 19th August 2005, 06:30 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Has anyone found more information about the differences of DIY TL and the Konus Essence.

How about the differences in sound quality between different materials like MDF and birch plywood.

Something tels me to choise the MLTL diy version but I kind of like the original Konus looks so much better......
Old 20th August 2005, 03:14 AM   #26
JVA is offline JVA  Canada
diyAudio Member

I hae built one set of Jordan TL speakers out of 18mm MDF with an additional 18mm pine front. The only thing that I changed on these speakers was the rounding off of all the transmission line corners including the exit. It was asked whether 18mm MDF was enough thickness. To me with the bracing of the tranmission line itself and the pine front, the speaker was extremely sturdy. I also used a little stuffing in the vent to remove the booming in the lower bass. About 100 hours of braking in the Jordan's and you have a wonderful full range speaker. They are very strong, especially in voice and jazz, blues, but not on heavy orchestra or heavy rock. I hope this will give you some info on the speakers.

Joe
Old 20th August 2005, 09:58 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

I notised the JTM from Carolina audio is about 1/2" thicker than Konus Essence.Could this be to change the internal capasity.Some listeners have claimed the JTM to have more bass extension.

The rounding of the bends sounds a nice thing to do.Even that it is stated to not alter the sound.
Old 20th August 2005, 10:25 AM   #28
VT67 is offline VT67  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I hae built one set of Jordan TL speakers out of 18mm MDF with an additional 18mm pine front. The only thing that I changed on these speakers was the rounding off of all the transmission line corners including the exit. It was asked whether 18mm MDF was enough thickness. To me with the bracing of the tranmission line itself and the pine front, the speaker was extremely sturdy. I also used a little stuffing in the vent to remove the booming in the lower bass. About 100 hours of braking in the Jordan's and you have a wonderful full range speaker. They are very strong, especially in voice and jazz, blues, but not on heavy orchestra or heavy rock. I hope this will give you some info on the speakers.
Also built a pair of these exactly as JVA is describing, I also agree with him on the strong and weak points of the speaker. The only thing I would like to add is that they are a bit picky regarding placement. With a 30° toe in they sound absolutely marvelous.
Just my two cents

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordan fin_01.jpg (75.3 KB, 1144 views)
Old 20th August 2005, 10:29 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Very nice detail with the legs. I was thinking of keeping the original shape but covering the legs with aluminium.
Old 21st August 2005, 11:23 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

About rounding of the corners,did you make this as suggested in the picture (page 2,bottom) ?
How did you do it.
I was thinking of bending a thin MDF to make the shape and then fill the space behind with something.Should I use hard (polyester and sand mix) or absorbant material as rockwool to do this?

Hide this!Advertise here!