Svante's the EDGE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hehehe, OK. Just didn't want to make fool of myself in public. :xeye:

The Edge software will calculate a passive BSC filter and an active OB low pass shelving filter.
See the active filter below. It's an inverting filter, but the component layout looks more like a non-inverting version to me - but not quite.

Can someone explain?

Attachments

• ob-filter.gif
    ob-filter.gif
    642 bytes · Views: 482
panomaniac said:
Hehehe, OK. Just didn't want to make fool of myself in public. :xeye:

The Edge software will calculate a passive BSC filter and an active OB low pass shelving filter.
See the active filter below. It's an inverting filter, but the component layout looks more like a non-inverting version to me - but not quite.

Can someone explain?

R2 and C set the higher turning point frequency, R1 and C sets the lower turning point frequency. it is the inverted configuration.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, makes sense. The more I look at it, the more sense it makes.

I ran a spice simulation of the filter and am having a hard time getting the low end to shelf. It shelves nicely on the top end, but not the bottom . I'll try some different values to see what happens.

Below is the type of LP shelf filter that Linkwitz has on his site. It simulates well.

Comments?

Attachments

• lp-shelf.gif
    lp-shelf.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 416
panomaniac said:
Got a question for Svante about the filter generator in the Edge. I sent you an email a week or 2 ago, but never heard back. We must have missed each other.

Maybe it's better to ask here?

Sorry, I must have missed that. The lower panel in the compensation designer is intended for open baffles, and using the suggested values, there will be no shelving towards lower frequencies.

One can, however, click on "suggest f1 & f2!" in the upper panel and copy the suggested values for f1 and f2 to the lower panel, this will result in shelving towards lower frequencies.

You can view the response of the circuit by checking "enable" and look for the blue curve in the response window. You do not need to simulate it separately (but it may of course be educating to do it anyway).

Below is a compensation using f1=205 Hz and f2=410 Hz.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Svante, are you still here? I'm a 'newbie' and have a few questions please? I've just tried out 'the Edge' - it looks excellent - thank you! I'll try to be brief...

I'm trying to model a (passive) 3way in Speaker Workshop, but I don't have MS Excel to use most of the 'FRConsortium tools'. Could I assume the Edge suggested RL contour network in series with both the mid and woofer xo's would negate the need to use all that FRC stuff? The tweeter xo would connect directly to the source.

Also, is it possible to define the various driver sizes in the same Edge simulation? I hope all this makes sense. many thanks, grant

grantnsw said:
Hi Svante, are you still here? I'm a 'newbie' and have a few questions please? I've just tried out 'the Edge' - it looks excellent - thank you! I'll try to be brief...

I'm trying to model a (passive) 3way in Speaker Workshop, but I don't have MS Excel to use most of the 'FRConsortium tools'. Could I assume the Edge suggested RL contour network in series with both the mid and woofer xo's would negate the need to use all that FRC stuff? The tweeter xo would connect directly to the source.

Also, is it possible to define the various driver sizes in the same Edge simulation? I hope all this makes sense. many thanks, grant

Hi!

If I remember correctly, FRC has possibilities for rounded baffle edges, which the Edge does not have, so it would be wrong of me to say that there is no need for the FRC tools. However, for reasonably small baffle edge roundings, the results from the Edge has been quite convincing in the cases I have examined. The RL network is intended to cancel the effect of the baffle step, and you can see in the graph how well it succeeds in doing that. Sort of, at least, the simulation assumes that the load is purely resistive, which is not perfectly the case.

There are tools out there, I have written one, that also simulates the rest of the speaker system, and for serious loudspeaker design such a tool is a must IMO.

The Edge cannot simulate different sizes of drivers, that would not make sense unless the frequency response of the individual drivers were adjustable. This would lead to a complete loudspeaker simulator... :D

The circuits suggested by the Edge are not complete crossovers, there should be additional crossover circuitry as well. Do NOT try to connect the tweeter directly to the source, this will quite rapidly destroy it, it can only take a few watts of power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.