simple questions, can't find the answers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished building two towers using the pioneer subs TS-W125DVC, the specs are here somewhere on the site, I used 2.7 cubic feet boxes ported and tuned to 37hz, everything is fine at low volumes, but as soon as I throw some power at them they distort, they move a lot of air and they just sound weird, weirdly enough I did not have this issue when I was using them in my car in a 1.65 cubic feet box ported at 37hz they played hard and never distorted...Could it be that these speaker only handle small enclosures ?

Thanks...if you have any suggestions please don’t' hesitate,

I don't mind changing the ports, but the size of the box has to stay the same...

Stuffing ? in the port ? huh ?

Here's the specs...

TS-W125DVC

T/S PARAMETERS

Dia. 12 in.
Z 8.0 / 2.0 ohm
Re 6.0 / 1.5 ohm
Zmax TBD
fs 33.9 Hz
Qms 14.20
Qes 0.379
Qts 0.370
Vas 1.794 ft3
50.796 Liters
Sd 0.0460 m2
0.495 ft2
BL 21.247 / 10.667 Tm
Cms 1.695x10-4 m/N
Mms 129.73 g
Rms 1.953 Ns/m
Mg. Wt 2,350 g
83 oz
VC dia. 2.25 in.
56 mm
Hvc 1.13 in.
28.8 mm
Hag 0.39 in.
10 mm
Xmax 0.37 in.
9.4 mm
Levc 3.337 / 0.834 mH
Displ. 0.083 ft3
2.36 Liters
SPL 89 dB/W
Power (nom) 400 Watts
Power (max) 800 Watts

i've been reading the site, and i'm not sure if that would solve my issues, i'm pushing the subs with just about 300w of power..., the power plant is a crown macrotech 2400, the subs are in a 3 way box, the enclosure is 2.7cubic feet with a 4 inch port 6.6 inch long, i just tried one of the boxes with another driver, it's a no name brand stamped HQ in the back 160wrms, they play loud punch hard and do not distort, but of course the bass is no where near the ones punched by the pioneer, anyone here had experience with these drivers ? or anyone here knows of a good driver that would be suitable for a 2.7 ft box that is capable or deliverng bass and power ? i know i'm asking a lot with little info, but i just finnished building these boxes and i don't want to end up building others...

Thanks for the driver specs, it looks like you're waaaay oversized on the enclosures, you actually weren't too far off with your origonal 1.65 cu ft boxes.

I get about 1.4 cu ft ideal volume tuned to 36Hz, with that and no sub-sonic filtering you will be able to give them 400w right down to 30Hz or so before you get beyond linear excursion. Add a 30Hz 2nd order highpass filter and you'll be able to give it as much stick as you like with your amp :D
Sealed isn't really an option with that driver as you need around 0.7 cu ft and you end up with an f3 around 65hz, and it doesn't have the nessasary excursion capability for much of a linkwitz transform.

Perhaps the room gain plays a role here.

I mean, in the car the room gain should start really early around 100hz or so (just estimated) and in your living room it usually starts around 40hz. Now, if you want to reproduce the same volume you usually hear in your car in your living room, the speaker has to work much harder (needs more power and has a bigger excursion) to compensate the smaller room gain. This could lead to more distortion at similar sound pressure levels in your room. Try a highpass filter below the lowest necessary frequency to remove everything that makes the speaker work without use.

I built the boxes for my mobile disco rig, i had existing boxes of 2.7cubic feet with Max pentivent woofers in them, and they played hard and well, i used winisd to build the new boxes for the pioneers hoping i would get a better effect, but indeed i tried the pioneers in another enlosure of 2.0 cubit feet, ported at 35hz and they play better, but still distort, so i guess these drivers can't handle too much free air...

I'm looking for a driver capable of handling 400w MINIMUM and can possibly go as low as 35hz flat response , all this in my 2.7cubic feet boxes, i'm looking at smoe models, but most of them can't handle anything lower than 40hz, and thos who can are car woofers needing 1.5 cubic feet or so enlosures...

i need help....

i was just given 2 of these subs, and im putting them in my B2200 reg cab. i keep reading that they like 1.5 cubic feet ported is that each or for 2. i was gonna make the box in kinda a T design i was wondering if 2 smaller ports running from the outside and then coming in like an L to the inside would work out good or not?? i imagine it would run like a single port im hoping some1 knows b4 i make a box. i am also giving it a premier 800W mono block amp so it feeds to max power at all times, and again i hope some1 might know about a T style box and how it might sound

Hi, shown is for 2 drivers in a box, :)/sreten.

Attachments

• guff.jpg
    guff.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 105
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.