Did I get a good deal on these drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After making a bit of a compulsive buy on Fleabay, I just paid about $95 shipped for:

-8 Peerless SR 19 DT tweeters
-4 KO130PL-SH-4 woofers.

The cost per driver is very reasonable - $5 per tweeter and $10 per woofer plus shipping - and I could'nt resist. (After all, I don't think Peerless has really ever made anything particularly awful, and this means I don't have to buy any of the Parts Express neo tweeters.)

EDIT:

It appears that the $5 SR 19's are the same as the T19SE. I can't read a bloody word of this forum, though, so I'm just going to assume as much.

http://audiomania.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3526&PHPSESSID=27e0759fe4e68773c0b6635095d31823

The specs are here:
http://www.peerlessaudio.com/products/drivers/tweeters/main3.asp?pname=4

Not bad, eh?

The woofer is probbably one of these:

http://www.peerlessaudio.com/products/drivers/woofers/main3.asp?pname=27

http://www.peerlessaudio.com/products/drivers/woofers/main3.asp?pname=38

Or something similar.

Perhaps I can make a nice pair of MTMs.

I also bought those tweeters and the midwoofers... haven't built anything yet, but have had both in the test boxes. I'm very pleased, especially considering the "make offer" price I paid for 10 of the 5.25", and 4 tweeters at "buy it now". The seller offers very fair shipping, and packs very well also.
The paper cones are kinda thin, but sound very clean at reasonable volume. A MTM/MMT would give very respectable output, and would make a decent system, especcially with subs--as these are lean in the lower bass. But with the lower Mms/damped paper, the upper bass/midrange is fast, clean, and fairly detailed.
Let us know what you do with 'em...
BTW... I tested both with several combinations of drivers; using an active 3-way setup.

TTYL, kyrie48

kyrie48 said:
I also bought those tweeters and the midwoofers... haven't built anything yet, but have had both in the test boxes. I'm very pleased, especially considering the "make offer" price I paid for 10 of the 5.25", and 4 tweeters at "buy it now". The seller offers very fair shipping, and packs very well also.
The paper cones are kinda thin, but sound very clean at reasonable volume. A MTM/MMT would give very respectable output, and would make a decent system, especcially with subs--as these are lean in the lower bass. But with the lower Mms/damped paper, the upper bass/midrange is fast, clean, and fairly detailed.
Let us know what you do with 'em...
BTW... I tested both with several combinations of drivers; using an active 3-way setup.

TTYL, kyrie48

Out of curiousity, how much did you pay for the woofers?

I'm wondering if a MTMW configuration would work well for these drivers, perhaps with the woofer being horn-loaded or in a transmission line. Or maybe I should just build an old-school subwoofer and be done with it - it certianly would save money over having a subwoofer driver in each speaker.

Hi Spasticteapot. If your happy with them, that's all that counts.

I think I have some specs on those in an old catalogue. I'll check tomorrow when I'm up in the storage shed.

Check Zaph's site. That won't come up in a search, but it's a minefield of data.

I have to agree with the comment about not being awful. I had a set of Peerless based cabs back in the 70s. I didn't really like them, but then I was trying to get a lot more out of them than what they were designed for. I think they were the last of the alnico 12 inch.

Cheers,
Geoff.

He had specs listed when I got mine, but don't know about now.

Fs:50hz
Qms:2.60
Qes:.43
Qts:.37
Vas:14.1liters
Dcr:3.5ohm
Mms7.1g
Sd:95.05
SPL:91db
4 ohm

Lots of ways to use these, but I'm thinking about a 3way with 4ohm 8"-10" woofers... or with dual midwoofers and dual woofers. Maybe even 12"-15" sub or pair. Or, MTM/MMT in reflex or TL would do well also... but bass would be leaner than a driver more tuned for bass.
When you get 'em, post how you're thinking of using them... I need some more ideas too!
:)

TTYL, kyrie48

kyrie48 said:
He had specs listed when I got mine, but don't know about now.

Fs:50hz
Qms:2.60
Qes:.43
Qts:.37
Vas:14.1liters
Dcr:3.5ohm
Mms7.1g
Sd:95.05
SPL:91db
4 ohm

Lots of ways to use these, but I'm thinking about a 3way with 4ohm 8"-10" woofers... or with dual midwoofers and dual woofers. Maybe even 12"-15" sub or pair. Or, MTM/MMT in reflex or TL would do well also... but bass would be leaner than a driver more tuned for bass.
When you get 'em, post how you're thinking of using them... I need some more ideas too!
:)

TTYL, kyrie48

Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking about a good old-fashioned three-way using the four woofers I bought, a pair of the tweeters, and a side-mounted subwoofer.

You mentioned that these might be appropriate for a transmission line. Would you reccomend a 2-way TL, an MTM, or another configuration entirely?

I was looking at something like one of these:
http://users.d-web.com/dbrown/db616tl2/db616tl2.htm

Or perhaps one of these oddball horns - I wonder how they would work for an MTM? The bass extension is certianly good.

http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hanbei/eng-angular.html

I'm very new to designing speakers; can anyone point me to some better software than WinISD that would run on Linux, or if it runs on Windows, is cheap?

teapot,
I don't see why they wouldn't sound good in just about any setup, but they are kinda bass shy. Just depends on what you want from a system.
I still have them in my (sealed) .5 cu.ft. test boxes, [active] crossed at 75hz, and they sound great. I did stick together a crude 2way passive at first, and the bass was good/clean with the sharper rolloff/heavier damping materials of my larger boxes. The one thing I wouldn't do, is try to get too much bass from 'em, breakups/distortion could get nasty (thin paper cones).

Others can offer better advice, but that's what I'm thinking at this point... but I'll likely change my mind several times before actually using them.

BTW... I'm also somewhat of a newbie to building (but have been interested in hi-fi for decades)...... Also, do you use test boxes?

TTYL, kyrie48

kyrie48 said:
teapot,
I don't see why they wouldn't sound good in just about any setup, but they are kinda bass shy. Just depends on what you want from a system.
I still have them in my (sealed) .5 cu.ft. test boxes, [active] crossed at 75hz, and they sound great. I did stick together a crude 2way passive at first, and the bass was good/clean with the sharper rolloff/heavier damping materials of my larger boxes. The one thing I wouldn't do, is try to get too much bass from 'em, breakups/distortion could get nasty (thin paper cones).

Others can offer better advice, but that's what I'm thinking at this point... but I'll likely change my mind several times before actually using them.

BTW... I'm also somewhat of a newbie to building (but have been interested in hi-fi for decades)...... Also, do you use test boxes?

TTYL, kyrie48

Not really. I have a 4' x 1' baffle that I've used to test assorted drivers, though.

I think I might try a pair of MTMWs, possibly using a pair of the Silver
Flute 8" woofers. I'm thinking of using a small subwoofer to improve the bass - while technically anathema for music listening, a woofer and a used plate-amp is a lot cheaper than buying four more woofers.

Anyone have any tested specs on the woofers? LSPcad Lite says "not enough info" when I plug in the numbers.

Should I go for a transmission line, a ported bass reflex, or perhaps even a horn-loaded speaker? A TL would appear to be a possibility, and it seems like the best way to get bass performance down to 50hz without too much trouble.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.