W18E001 + 27TDFC bookshelves, need design help (sonotube?) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2007, 03:54 AM   #1
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default W18E001 + 27TDFC bookshelves, need design help (sonotube?)

While im collecting funds to finish my line array Id like a set of nice bookshelves (ill be using them as computer speakers) to hold me off till I get them finished.

I just got a pair of Seas Excel W18E001s in a trade (man these are pretty) and the Seas 27TDFC (should I look at any other tweeters? remember these are just to hold me off till my line arrays are completed) are quite inexpensive and would be a worthy investment to hold me off. Would a T-amp work to power them for low level listening, or should I invest in a Crown XLS-202D?

I plan on using most of the existing equipment I have planned for the line arrays, which include the DCX2496 for crossovers and the XLS-202B for the W18E001s.

Also, I was considering buying a tiny sonotube (probably like 8-10" sonotube) and then cutting 2 slits down the side and inserting a piece of MDF to use as the baffle. From the top the sonotube would look like a C, without the baffle in place.

I dont have plans on building a subwoofer for the computer (but it may happen in the future with a Dayton RS15 and a plate amp or something along those lines), as these bookshelves would probably suffice for low level listening. Should I port them or seal them, and if I ported them how low should I port them?
Old 6th March 2011, 07:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have these drivers and need the .frd and .zma files for the Seas woofer. Does anyone have them?
Old 7th March 2011, 10:54 AM   #3
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

I was quite surprised to see this post in my email, especially one from John Galt

Sadly I do not have the files, but someone possibly does. free bump.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

http://www.crestviewcable.com/~catapult/Seasdata.zip

Enjoy
Old 7th March 2011, 03:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

I tried using the freq response data in PCD but it doesn't look correct.
Old 29th January 2012, 02:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm in the process of "tuning" the crossover for a W18E001 + Dayton RS28A-4. The guys over at Parts-Express are helping me with the crossover.

It looks to be a promising design.
Old 29th January 2012, 03:27 PM   #7
mdocod is offline mdocod  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mdocod
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadman View Post
Would a T-amp work to power them for low level listening, or should I invest in a Crown XLS-202D?

I plan on using most of the existing equipment I have planned for the line arrays, which include the DCX2496 for crossovers and the XLS-202B for the W18E001s.
If these speakers are run full range, you're going to be Xmax limited to ~10-20W with most program material depending on the box size/tuning/type etc. I think a little chip amp is all you need for both the highs and lows, but if you already have a XLS amp then go ahead and use that for the lows I suppose.

Quote:
I dont have plans on building a subwoofer for the computer (but it may happen in the future with a Dayton RS15 and a plate amp or something along those lines), as these bookshelves would probably suffice for low level listening. Should I port them or seal them, and if I ported them how low should I port them?
If they are going to be run full range vented is going to have more benefits than drawbacks IMO. If you add a sub later you could always plug off the vent and cram the boxes full of dampening material.

I like 0.75-1.5ft^3 range, anywhere from 25-35hz tuning depending on the room and desired bottom end loading/protection. If you want the boxes to stay a little smaller, ~0.5ft^3 tuned to ~40hz looks good to me as well.

Best of luck with the design!
Old 18th April 2012, 11:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

would like to revive this old thread...anyone have a 1800hz crossover for the W18E001. I have a pair of OEM RAAL 20xr which that by design cross at 1800 and would like to give this combo a go...thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Tolik is offline Tolik  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Tolik
Quote:
anyone have a 1800hz crossover for the W18E001
Look at FRD of that driver... 16dB peak at 4.9K due to cone resonance. Its starts around 3.2K - 3.4K. So you need not only to damp it, but to prevent any harmonirs entering this range.
Calculanion is simple - 3.2KHz/2 = 1.6K or less for crossover frequensy
Crossover could to look as below
R1 C2 or R11 C10 used to damp 4.8K cone breakup
C3 L3 R2 used to damp a very small 1dB peak around 800Hz, so it could be easly avoided.
Attached Images
File Type: png w18e001.png (66.4 KB, 74 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!