3D Modeling??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This might just be useless but i'm looking for a program that i can make a loudspeaker enclosure design in 3D. Something that i would be able to see the width hight depth in inches or cm (either is fine) so i can get a good replication of what i am thinking of. Also i would like it to be able to make whatever shape of enclosure i can think of without having a driver parameters to work around. Not sure if this is even around but if anyone knows something about a program that would be just great. Thanks!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nathan1k9 said:
This might just be useless but i'm looking for a program that i can make a loudspeaker enclosure design in 3D. Something that i would be able to see the width hight depth in inches or cm (either is fine) so i can get a good replication of what i am thinking of. Also i would like it to be able to make whatever shape of enclosure i can think of without having a driver parameters to work around. Not sure if this is even around but if anyone knows something about a program that would be just great. Thanks!

you certainly need some 3D CAD proggie ,but I don't know where you can find freeware.
besides that-you can try Google Sketchup,even if I'm not sure that that it will cover all your needs.
boyz hooked on Tanoys in this forum made few Sketchup models already.........more than helpful drawings,at least for understanding already existing plans ,which are -what else- just 2D

Attachments

• grf_coulor.jpg
    grf_coulor.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 290
All the 3D solid modelling software is expensive. 5000 plus USD for most. The cheapest is Alibre design which is around 700 -1200 depending on if you get one of thier promotions.

Google sketch up does 3D. Probably not solids or parametric but good enough for concept modelling.

TurboCAD is cheap and can do 3D but it is very limited. No parametric sketches or assemblies.

Actually I may be wrong. TurboCAD's most recent version may have parametric sketching. But I think only in the 2D environment. Assembly environment is necessary if you want to make detailed plans from 3D models.

Other wise you can use Google sketch up to make the basic design in 3d and then make working drawings in 2D TurboCAD.

For all-out CAD/CNC compatibility, Autodesk Inventor is the way to go. I'm no good at using it, but I have a little experience with it - we use it to model the robots we build, and it's not hard to add your own complex objects into libraries. (For example, you can model a speaker driver, and just drop it into an enclosure.) Others like SolidWorks, but Inventor seems to be the most oriented towards building things like speakers - it's very easy to extrapolate and enter measurements.

That said, SketchUp is pretty good for nice, simple models, and you don't need a beefy PC to run it. (Anything less than a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 and a Radeon 9600, and you're in for a headache.)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Spasticteapot said:

That said, SketchUp is pretty good for nice, simple models, and you don't need a beefy PC to run it. (Anything less than a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 and a Radeon 9600, and you're in for a headache.)

plain vanilla Barton 2500 (working at 2200 as B3200) and Radeon 9200 ViVo........no problems at all...........same time surfing,with antivirus and firewall and drawing in Sketchup

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A big problem problem with Inventor is that it is from AutoDesk (it also won't run on my Mac)

SketchUp is real intereting, but some fairly simple things i find frustrating to do (but that could (probably is) just be lack of practice). Because it is free, and because a lot of people are picking it up, a swelling user base will hopefully bring enuff sales to the Pro version that we will see it get better, with more plug-ins, a larger library of models etc.

I have been attracted to it because of its excellent job of doing transparency (as seen above with the Tannoy corner horn and Harvey attached here)

I use it in conjunction with VectorWorks (which also does 3D but ihe UI & i don't get along -- again probably practise) which is a superb 2D modeler.

I also use Alias Sketch! which is very good, but very dated (last release 1993) -- i know how to make it jump thru hoops.

dave

Attachments

• harvey-3d.gif
    harvey-3d.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 207
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
not exactly a speaker, but the latest thing i did in sketchup -- to help a buddy sell the idea of an addition on his rental property.

This is the kind of thing SketchUp was originally aimed at... i kludged my way thru this in just 1.5 hrs ... i expect someone that knew what they were doing could have got this far (or further) in a 1/3 the time.

dave

Attachments

• m-time-rental.gif
    m-time-rental.gif
    76.4 KB · Views: 170
K well thanks for the input so far sketch is working pretty good for me(still a little slow with getting things made but i just need to get used to it). I think it will do what i need for making my plans. I'l post my first plan once i get it done (sometime in the next few days hopefully).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.