3D Modeling?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2007, 01:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 3D Modeling??

This might just be useless but i'm looking for a program that i can make a loudspeaker enclosure design in 3D. Something that i would be able to see the width hight depth in inches or cm (either is fine) so i can get a good replication of what i am thinking of. Also i would like it to be able to make whatever shape of enclosure i can think of without having a driver parameters to work around. Not sure if this is even around but if anyone knows something about a program that would be just great. Thanks!
Old 9th January 2007, 02:11 AM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 3D Modeling??

Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan1k9
This might just be useless but i'm looking for a program that i can make a loudspeaker enclosure design in 3D. Something that i would be able to see the width hight depth in inches or cm (either is fine) so i can get a good replication of what i am thinking of. Also i would like it to be able to make whatever shape of enclosure i can think of without having a driver parameters to work around. Not sure if this is even around but if anyone knows something about a program that would be just great. Thanks!

you certainly need some 3D CAD proggie ,but I don't know where you can find freeware.
besides that-you can try Google Sketchup,even if I'm not sure that that it will cover all your needs.
boyz hooked on Tanoys in this forum made few Sketchup models already.........more than helpful drawings,at least for understanding already existing plans ,which are -what else- just 2D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grf_coulor.jpg (50.0 KB, 250 views)
Old 9th January 2007, 03:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm not too worried about if it is freeware or not. I'm starting to get big into building speakers and i wouldn't mind having a good modeling program.
Old 9th January 2007, 04:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

All the 3D solid modelling software is expensive. 5000 plus USD for most. The cheapest is Alibre design which is around 700 -1200 depending on if you get one of thier promotions.

Google sketch up does 3D. Probably not solids or parametric but good enough for concept modelling.

TurboCAD is cheap and can do 3D but it is very limited. No parametric sketches or assemblies.

Actually I may be wrong. TurboCAD's most recent version may have parametric sketching. But I think only in the 2D environment. Assembly environment is necessary if you want to make detailed plans from 3D models.

Other wise you can use Google sketch up to make the basic design in 3d and then make working drawings in 2D TurboCAD.

Old 9th January 2007, 06:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
For all-out CAD/CNC compatibility, Autodesk Inventor is the way to go. I'm no good at using it, but I have a little experience with it - we use it to model the robots we build, and it's not hard to add your own complex objects into libraries. (For example, you can model a speaker driver, and just drop it into an enclosure.) Others like SolidWorks, but Inventor seems to be the most oriented towards building things like speakers - it's very easy to extrapolate and enter measurements.

That said, SketchUp is pretty good for nice, simple models, and you don't need a beefy PC to run it. (Anything less than a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 and a Radeon 9600, and you're in for a headache.)
Old 9th January 2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spasticteapot

That said, SketchUp is pretty good for nice, simple models, and you don't need a beefy PC to run it. (Anything less than a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 and a Radeon 9600, and you're in for a headache.)

plain vanilla Barton 2500 (working at 2200 as B3200) and Radeon 9200 ViVo........no problems at all...........same time surfing,with antivirus and firewall and drawing in Sketchup
Old 9th January 2007, 08:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod

plain vanilla Barton 2500 (working at 2200 as B3200) and Radeon 9200 ViVo........no problems at all...........same time surfing,with antivirus and firewall and drawing in Sketchup

I was referring to Inventor.
Old 9th January 2007, 10:47 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A big problem problem with Inventor is that it is from AutoDesk (it also won't run on my Mac)

SketchUp is real intereting, but some fairly simple things i find frustrating to do (but that could (probably is) just be lack of practice). Because it is free, and because a lot of people are picking it up, a swelling user base will hopefully bring enuff sales to the Pro version that we will see it get better, with more plug-ins, a larger library of models etc.

I have been attracted to it because of its excellent job of doing transparency (as seen above with the Tannoy corner horn and Harvey attached here)

I use it in conjunction with VectorWorks (which also does 3D but ihe UI & i don't get along -- again probably practise) which is a superb 2D modeler.

I also use Alias Sketch! which is very good, but very dated (last release 1993) -- i know how to make it jump thru hoops.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif harvey-3d.gif (26.4 KB, 172 views)
Old 9th January 2007, 10:48 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

And this shows how a SketchUp model can give life to even a simple set of plans. (The full-rez pdf is in the box plan library on my commercial site)
Attached Images
File Type: gif fr125-slot.gif (65.1 KB, 190 views)
Old 9th January 2007, 10:50 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Here is a model of the Bandor 50mm module i did in Sketch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bandor50mm.jpg (15.8 KB, 163 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!