A good matching speakers for NAD 3020 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I bought a NAD 3020 amp online a couple weeks ago after reading bunch of good reviews about the amp. I use a cheap small tannoy monitor speaker set and listen to orchestral music mostly.

What I've found so far is that my system has pretty strong mid range but lacks bass significantly, thus producing a rather brash sound, especially for orchestal music.

The problem might be caused either by NAD or my speaker set, but I think I need to upgrade my speakers first.

I need some advice about good matiching speakers with NAD 3020 without coloration like Tannoy does.

I prefer neutral, uncolored, but rather warm speaker sound with enough bass. My budget is $300 max, and I would prefer buying a vintage speakers because I could get better value with my set budget.

Thanks in advance.

Can't recommend any particular speakers, just advise to get something fairly efficient. I have a 3020 in my garage driving mission bookshelves and it distorts into them at around 12 o'clock on the dial. Not much power there.

Rob.

edit: maybe you should be looking for subs?

Hi, RobWells. Thanks for your reply. I've found many people who match NAD with Mission speakers, in their garage :). Just wondering if those two are known to be a good match.

I mostly listen to orchestral music. Do you think this match reproduces some enjoyable orchestral music without too much distortion?

I've no idea if they're supposed to be a good match - the missions are leftover from my old system - they were the surrounds.

I was trying to let you know that I'd look for fairly efficient speakers as the nad isn't particularly powerful, and clips into the missions at fairly low volumes.

Cheers,

Rob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.