Any news from CES 2007 yet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The W16NX001 is based on a new chassis where we have kept the outside diameter of the chassis the same as in the 15cm, but with more effective use of the available area. A long voice coil and a new surround profile makes this a driver with long stroke capabilities.

Besides the W16NX001 we are showing a new W22NY001. This is a 22cm with a Nextel cone. The frequency response is very nice, so it should be a good candidate for a really good 2-way speaker.

In the Prestige range we are showing two new woofers with something we have called "Reed cone". This is a new paper pulp with longer fibers added. They are called ER15RLY and ER18RNX.

We are also showing two new tweeters in the Prestige range. Based on the 27T series, but with a new neo magnetsystem and chassis with 98mm OD. 27TTFNC/GW - with a titanium dome, and 27TDFNC/GW - with a textile dome.

Finally, a tweeter in the Excel range with a magnesium dome. This was also showed last year, but we have not been able to produce it before now. T29MF001

All products are either produced or scheduled to be produced very soon, so they should be available for our distributors in the near future.

Bjorn Magne Idland
R&D, Seas

slogan2112 said:
I am anxiously waiting any info from the show.

I hear there are new drivers from Morel, Jantzen Audio and SEAS. In particular the new driver from SEAS, the W16NX001, interests me. Are there others from SEAS?

Just curious, come on people, spill the beans.

-Scott

The W16NX001 has a gray magnesium cone and a copper phase plug, like the W18EX001.
But the chassis is Nextel painted.

It will be available in both 4 and 8ohms.

Bjorn

Reilumeininki said:
Thanks Bjorn for your commentation!
About W16NX,i know it is nextel covered but is it the cone itself paper or mag?Somebody claims that W16 comes out with mag cone.

Thank you Bjorn for keeping us up to date.

I was about to start a project with the W15cy001 as a midrange but wanted to find out more about the W16NX first. Do they have the same hole pattern? I already have the W15s so I could start and swap out latter if they are the same.

When do you expect data sheets will be available?

Thanks again,

Scott

The W15CY001 is a better midrange unit. The W16NX001 is better for small 2-way speakers. We have made a system with one 4ohm W16 and a Millennium tweeter that works really well. We also have a MMT with two 8ohm W16 coming.

The hole pattern is almost the same. The W16 has the holes at Ø137mm - the W15 has the holes at Ø136.5. Should not be a problem. But keep in mind that the W16 will need a larger hole in the box. To allow for a larger cone we had to move the spokes outwards.

The datasheets will soon be posted on our web page, but send me an e-mail and I'll get some info for you.

bidland "at" seas "dot" no

Bjorn

slogan2112 said:
Thank you Bjorn for keeping us up to date.

I was about to start a project with the W15cy001 as a midrange but wanted to find out more about the W16NX first. Do they have the same hole pattern? I already have the W15s so I could start and swap out latter if they are the same.

When do you expect data sheets will be available?

Thanks again,

Scott

Paul W said:
Bjorn,
What are the main features and characteristics of the T29MF001?
Thanks,
Paul

The T29MF001 has a flatter frequency response than the T29AF001. We have used a shorter voice coil to get a lighter moving system, lower inductance and more linear excursion. It also has the Hexadym magnetsystem with low viscosity ferrofluid.

I see now a typo in the datasheet. The surround is from Sonomex (fabric), not Sonomax (polymer) as the datasheet says.

Even though the magnesium dome is much stiffer than the aluminum dome, we still see the break-up in the frequency response at 27 kHz. The reason for this is that the break-up frequency is not determined by the stiffness of the dome alone, but how the whole moving system interacts.

Bjorn

Bjorn,

Perhaps you are in a position to answer a question I've had for many years.

Alumuminum, titanium, and magnesium all have similar stiffness/density ratios.

Making same-weight diaphragms from each material, the one with the lowest density will be the thickest and have the highest first resonance frequency because bending stiffness increases with the cube of thickness.

On that basis alone, magnesium should be the best diaphragm material, and additionally it has far greater internal damping.

Finally to the my question: Why therefore are there not more tweeters with magnesium diaphragms?

And why are there so many titanium tweeter diaphragms when aluminum would seem to be both better and les expensive?

Thanks very much.

Data sheets are up:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=24231

I posted my thoughts on the new drivers in above thread:

Hmm, I have no idea what the surround of the new Mag cone drivers look like. If anybody could snap and post a pic, that would be highly appreciated.

The new tweeters look like winners. The Nd ring magnet seens to allow for much better airflow. Their impedance curves have much higher mechanical Q compared to the TBC and TDC which are also non-ferrofluid drivers. Actually, the TBC and TDC are closer to their ferro siblings TBFC and TDFC than to the new Nd cousins.

The new titanium TTNC dome has its supersonic breakup at exactly the same frequency (27 kHz) as the older AlMg dome used in the TBC and other models, but the breakup peak is much less severe (15 compared to 30 dB), as is the off axis 17 kHz dip.

Interestingly, they say they are using an aluminum VC former. If this is really the case, they are using a two piece design with a glue joint between former and dome (normally, metal domes are extended so that dome and former are made from one piece of metal). This and the higher density of Ti nonwithstanding, the lower mass of 0.32 g is actually less than the 0,33 g of the TBC.

With sensitivity being identical and fs close, the TTNC could be a drop in replacement for the TBC, but the front plate diameterhas also been reduced

Also, they have failed to answer my prayers for a version of the TAFNC that will actually fit inside the 38 mm VC of their 7 and 8 in. woofers

I am not a big fan of paper cones, but their new reed/paper ER series looks like a winner, too. FR is very extended, and there is comparatively little evidence of cone resonances.

The bigger ER18RNX is not as clean as the ER15, but the 6 dB peak at 4.8 kHz still looks reasonably benign, and exention to 7 kHz is not bad at all for a 7 in. driver.

They used the biggest motors availably and pretty long coils (+/- 5 resp. 6 mm linear travel is very unusual for a full range). The ER18 uses a lower shorting ring, a first in a non-Excel Seas driver, as far as I know. The pole piece is most likely identical to those in the L18RN and W18EX, and that means a full Excel grade SD motor can be retrofitted by just removing the dustcap and inserting the top ring (for the L18, one needs to disassembly and realign the magnet to insert the lower ring).

noah katz said:

Finally to the my question: Why therefore are there not more tweeters with magnesium diaphragms?

Thanks very much.

Hi Noah,

Magnesium is very difficult to shape from a flat foil to a dome compared with aluminum. That's the main reason. Another issue is the potential corrosion problems. Magnesium needs a good protective coating.

Eric,

The Prestige tweeters will be released with ferrofluid. I sent out the wrong file....

You are right about the use of copper rings in the ER18. It's the first outside the the Excel series. We wanted to lift this product to a level between the CA18RNX and the W18NX001.

Bjorn

These new Seas look very interesting!
And the decision to equip that new midwoofer ER18RNX (H1456) from prestige series a short-circuited ring in magnet system seems to me very correct. For example, Peerless and Dayton in this price range show simply phenomenal productivity and in many respects owing to their advanced motor. Whether practice of equipment short-circuited rings in prestige series will be continued?

And Bjorn, check the magnet weight on W22NY001 driver. Similar on that is a mistake in the specification.

bidland said:

The Prestige tweeters will be released with ferrofluid. I sent out the wrong file....

Pity, but I can always drain the fluid :)

Is it really true that the TTNC uses an aluminum former, i.e. an aluminum former is glued to the titanium dome?

Do you have any idea why the impedance curve of the TBC is so much broader than that of the TTNC? It looks like the TBC has ferro, but of course, the TBFC has an even broader curve.

Could be due to restricted air flow in the TBC or to eddy current losses in the aluminum former (assuming the TTNC really uses a titanium former which has lower conductivity).

capslock said:

Pity, but I can always drain the fluid :)

Is it really true that the TTNC uses an aluminum former, i.e. an aluminum former is glued to the titanium dome?

Do you have any idea why the impedance curve of the TBC is so much broader than that of the TTNC? It looks like the TBC has ferro, but of course, the TBFC has an even broader curve.

Could be due to restricted air flow in the TBC or to eddy current losses in the aluminum former (assuming the TTNC really uses a titanium former which has lower conductivity).

Hi Eric,

Yes, we glue an aluminum former to a titanium dome.

The difference in the impedance comes mainly from the differences behind the dome. The new ring-neo system has a very shallow polepiece compared to the ferrite magnetsystem in the 27TBC.

Bjorn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.