Zaph's Audax Mini Crossover Question - Baffle Step - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2007, 12:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Unhappy Zaph's Audax Mini Crossover Question - Baffle Step

Hello Everyone-

Got a question for you all. I have been reviewing Zaph's Audaz Mini project. http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker14.html

In his description, he states the design has full baffle step compensation and should not be on a shelf or in a bookcase (they need stands).

Reviewing the crossover, I do not see any baffle step compensation in the crossover, am I missing something?

Click the image to open in full size.

With 6.5" wide baffles, the raise should start @ 270 Hz, have an F3 of 730 Hz and be at full magnitude at 4,339 Hz. Crossover point is around 3300 Hz. The woofer section of the crossover has a 3rd order low-pass.

How is the baffle step accorded for?
Old 6th January 2007, 07:05 AM   #2
JasonB is offline JasonB  Canada
diyAudio Member

From what I know you won't see seperate baffle step components. Baffle step compensation is integrated in to the woofer crossover. Zaph doesn't have a filter transfer function graph for this particular project but if you look at some of his others such as the Seas L18/27TBFCG you wil see that the low pass filter transfer function shows an initial shallow slope to provide baffle step compensation before leveling off then starting the actual crossover slope.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Hide this!Advertise here!