PVC Pipe speaker ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Sea Scouts do a project every winter. This year I helped them to decide on a small desktop Ipod/CDP. Source connected to via 3mm RCA to LM4752 and then using some NSB speakers.

It's my idea to mount these speakers on a flange-->90 elbow-->straight section-->elbow-->flange. This would form sort of a U with the speakers mounted at both ends of the U on the flanges. What sort of internal volume should I aim at for PVC tubes. Should the tubes be damped/stuffed? That's the sort of things I would like help with.

Thanks!

Pipes can make great speakers- they have very rigid walls.

The internal volume should be similar to what you'd expect from modeling a sealed box in something like WinISD. If you don't have/can't measure T/S parameters, then just make sure the pipe diameter is at least as large as the diameter of the woofer.

Stuff liberally with poly fibers to kill tube resonance.

Make the pipe as long as you can, and keep experimenting with smaller pipes to see how small you can make it before it sounds bad/different, then make the design just a bit bigger than that.

Make sure there's a divider to keep the enclosures for the two speakers airtight and separate from each other.

Also, I should tell you that those NSB's sound surprisingly good in an open baffle. I made one just with cardboard, and it was an illuminating experience. There was absolutely no bass, but you're not going to get much bass from them no matter what you do.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Some more PVC jobbies:

http://t-linespeakers.org/FALL/toobz/index.html

nakedToob_tn.jpg

http://t-linespeakers.org/projects/sampson/index.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.