High/Low Impedance speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I sing with a praise band at church. Someone donated 4 new monitors to replace our aged ones. The old speakers have RCA (Phono) jacks and the new speakers have XLR type jacks. Simple Ohm's law tells me that lowering the impedance will increase the amperage, but does this apply to these speakers? :confused:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
What makes you think they are different impedance? XLRs are common on all types of box. Even if they are lower impedance, we should still be able to get you sorted. Do you have access to a simple multimeter that can measure resistance, and could you tell us about the amp that you use to drive them?

Ok, so all 4 monitors are fed off the RCA jacks in the stage, and looped through two per side. If the Jack in the stage is an RCA connector, they are not balanced. It can be adapted to XLR, but it would be a really good idea to change the RCA connectors in the stage to XLR and make whatever changes at the mixer.
Most newer ones can send a balanced signal from the auxes (assuming thats what is feeding the monitors).
Btw, your old monitors were self powered as well right?

Oh that changes things a bit if you're old speakers were not powered. By the "screw terminals" on the "sound mixer board" I guess you mean the RCA's are fed by a power amp. Are the screw terminals really right on the board or are they on another piece of equipment?
The rub is that you're new speakers already have the amplifier inside them. You should not fed thier inputs from a power amp output as the audio signal is MUCH to high and damage can result.
There are a few solutions, but we need a bit more information. Can you varify the cable run to the RCA jacks in the stage is twisted pair cable? My guess is it's actually speaker cable.

One more question, by RCA jack do you mean this:

Attachments

• rca jack.jpeg
    rca jack.jpeg
    1.7 KB · Views: 35
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.