diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   my 1st alphaTL (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/9331-my-1st-alphatl.html)

planet10 1st January 2003 10:42 PM

my 1st alphaTL

2 Attachment(s)
This is a preview picture of the bipolar alphaTLs that i built for my brother. I'm putting together a page for the TL site with more details (and a bigger picture ).

This is a "Frugal-phile(tm)" class speaker, and despite still needing some detail work they sound very crediable.

dave

Dustin Haug 1st January 2003 11:23 PM

Look great!! I can't tell from the pic, what is it that's holding the grille on? Is it a snap of some sort of a small magnet perhaps? They look nice and clean.

fdegrove 1st January 2003 11:27 PM

ALPHA

Hi,

Lovely looks...mahogany and all.
Great stuff.

Quote:

Look great!! I can't tell from the pic, what is it that's holding the grille on?
Dave will tell us but if I had to guess?Velcro strip perhaps?

Well done Dave,;)

planet10 1st January 2003 11:41 PM

Re: ALPHA

Quote:

Originally posted by fdegrove
Lovely looks...mahogany and all.
the Cherry stain gives them the lovely reddish colour -- something that so far has gotten very high SAF (across a sample set of a number of Ss)

BTW i get no credit with how they look, ChrisB is the cabinet maker. I send him drawings (or in this case he only needed a couple numbers) and the cabinets magikally appear.

Quote:

Dave will tell us but if I had to guess?Velcro strip perhaps?
self-stick Velcro spots -- they come in packages of 10 at Home Despot.

dave

pinkmouse 2nd January 2003 12:12 AM

Very nice Dave, but no construction photos, shame...;)

Any internal drawings so we can see how you configured the line?

planet10 2nd January 2003 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pinkmouse
but no construction photos, shame...;)

Any internal drawings so we can see how you configured the line?
ChrisB doesn't have a camera yet... and they would be pretty boring anyway -- it is 5 pieces of wood.

The beauty of the alphaTL is that it is so simple. Throw a few numbers in a spreadsheet (or use the nomographs that will be in the published article -- coming to an audioXpress soon) and out pops a design.

Rick Schultz (exolinear) has done an excellent job exploring quarterwave space and coming up with a set of plug-n-play working parameters for the simplest of tlines. I can't talk about details until the article hits, but the line configuration is the same as the TLb. El Pipe-O and my toobz all have the same topology as an alphaTL -- but aren't dimensioned correctly to be alphaTLs.

dave

jleaman 2nd January 2003 12:45 AM

Hey that is not fair, You said you built them. i seen you walking out of costcos yesterday with them.

LOL just kiddin dave

They look superb. How do they sound.

Jason

planet10 2nd January 2003 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JasonL
They look superb. How do they sound.
They have been in my system since Christmas... and i haven't been tempted to pull the Quad ESLs (you see them just behind one of the TLs) out -- they are next in the queue.

They aren't as transparent thru the mids as my BD-Pipes, but have bass the 4" can't hope to match. They are pleasant to listen too, but i can't give you a critical evaluation since i am currently source deprived ... i'm having to live with my Denon 2500 DVD player until i can resurrect one of the TTs in storage.

Next up in this theme is a set using Vifa P17s & much better tweeters. And the mid enclosures in my 1st TangBand effort (this design is still in flux -- i\'m switching to 4" bass drivers from the 3s in the 1st design.

dave

planet10 2nd January 2003 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JasonL
i seen you walking out of costcos yesterday with them.
Hey, you should have come visit then -- it is just down the road. I don\'t think you\'d actually find anything as good as these at CostCo :D

dave

fragman56 2nd January 2003 02:39 AM

Very Nice!!

Is that mahogany plywood stained cherry?