my 1st alphaTL - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2003, 01:53 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Very Nice!!

Quote:
Originally posted by fragman56
Is that mahogany plywood stained cherry?
Pre-veneered 19mm MDF scraps stained cherry.

dave
Old 2nd January 2003, 02:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Dave,

Very nice. What drivers did you use? What's the story behind the horn loaded tweeter?

Rodd Yamashita
Old 2nd January 2003, 04:23 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by roddyama
What drivers did you use? What's the story behind the horn loaded tweeter?
They use cheap MCM 6" (i have to go look for the number) & a surplus 14mm Delco tweeter.

Wave guide would be a more appropriate term. This is a little trick stumbled on by accident. The system is best described as full-range with a helper tweeter (6-7k up). The conical wave-guide gives a bit better match between the drivers HF and the tweeters LF dispersion characteristic. The loading also gives a bit more LF efficiency on the T. The set-back brings the acoustic centres a bit closer and cosmetically it works -- making what is a rather inexpensive tweeter look better.

dave
Old 2nd January 2003, 03:35 PM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default mystery stain

As Dave said, "rescued from the scrap pile" cherry veneer factory laid on MDF core. Due to the the different age of material, there was significant variation in the color of the veneer ( although cherry is my current favorite, this oxidization is quite normal). This prompted the dark red stain.

My biggest suprise was how well the exposed edges of the MDF core took the stain. Sanded down to 220 with random orbit, then 2 coats of stain (second one washed with thinners) and 4 spray coats of nitrocellulose lacquer.

The velcro pads work great on smaller sized grilles, and are also available in white. Next pair of boxes with PLAm or post veneer, I'd like to try the concealed magnets.
Old 2nd January 2003, 05:34 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Beveled edges

Are they simply stained with the dark red stain and took on that color or were they painted dark?
Old 2nd January 2003, 06:07 PM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default stain

Stain (commercial solvent based wipe-on) applied directly to sanded veneer / MDF core. As cherry can easily go blotchy, I've found the fastest way for an even color is to wipe on 2 thick coats & wash down with lacquer thinner before each dries.

Usually 3 - 4 spray coats of catalyzed nitro cellulose lacquer with a quick 220 - 400g sanding between coats.

Thank heavens I'm not in California.
Old 26th August 2003, 11:18 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Alpha TL missing details

Hi Dave

Finally I could read Rick Schultz's article and was very impressive how fast and easy you can dimension the box and stuffing.

Two points I could not figure out is if is there any rule for woofer placemant from top of box and what is max or min distance of open end to floor. Or this is not a big deal.

Thanks for comments
Old 27th August 2003, 01:05 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Alpha TL missing details

Quote:
Originally posted by JC Fardo
Two points I could not figure out is if is there any rule for woofer placemant from top of box and what is max or min distance of open end to floor. Or this is not a big deal.
The alpha TL assumes the driver is as close to the closed end as you can get it. The area of the space above the floor should be larger than the opening in the pipe... too high up off the floor and you will probably lose some bass reinforcement. Still i have one in the works that will have the terminus significantly raised above the floor.

dave
Old 27th August 2003, 08:38 AM   #19
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Default off topic

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

The alpha TL assumes the driver is as close to the closed end as you can get it. The area of the space above the floor should be larger than the opening in the pipe... too high up off the floor and you will probably lose some bass reinforcement. Still i have one in the works that will have the terminus significantly raised above the floor.

dave

dave, did you recieve my mail?
Old 27th August 2003, 02:24 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Alpha tl missing details

Quote:
The alpha TL assumes the driver is as close to the closed end as you can get it.
That means its favourable to 2-way woofer above tweeter geometry. Now, can one rotate an existing 2-way XO project, with tweeter on top?

I know its not as simple, it may depends on XO order, etc. but Im grateful for your elaboration on this question

JC

Hide this!Advertise here!