Piano gloss tips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm surprised my search didn't turn up much.

I plan on doing a black piano gloss finish on MDF (curved).

1. Automotive vs standard paints?
2. Do I need a clear finish over gloss black paint?
3. Exactly what type of paint and clear finish should I look for? Gloss? 2 pack? Polyurethane? Oil or water based?
4. What is the best way to apply? ie. from a spray system linked to a compressor? (I have access to compressor)
5. What should I look for in a spray gun?

I've used a spray gun in a factory and was impressed with how well it worked and how easy it was to use. I've seen one very cheap, but wonder if it's too cheap at around $30. Not having worked with them much, I'm wondering if there are any problems, such as lack of control, or problems with blockages, or something else I haven't thought of.

6. Can it be done in a garage without a dedicated booth? My concern is dust!

Thanks for your help guys

Hi

I have never tried to produce a high gloss finish by just spraying.

However I have produced a number of high gloss finishes on wood in the past ( My father was a furniture maker and polisher )
In all the finishes I have produced the final gloss was produced by rubbing each coat down. You need a lot of coats - 6 to 10 or more. Each coat is a thinner mix of polish - adding more thinners and the rubbing down compound finer for each coat.

You can use plastic coating. One coat is much easier to use than two coat which is very messy and wastful if you have not used it before. Oil will not give a gloss finish but can be very attractive on a good surface veneer as it gives a sheen.

Hope this helps.

Don

I got some really good results on a test peice of MDF by doing the following. I sanded the MDF with 400 grit. Then I sprayed a sanding sealer first, it took 2 coats on the uncut surfaces and maybe 4 or 5 on the cut ones. I then sanded with 600 grit (the highest quality NAPA sold) with a $20 palm sander from Harbor Freight. After that I spraed rattle can high build primer 3 times sanding with 600 between coats. I then sprayed a high gloss black rattle can 3 more coats, wet sanding with 600 again between coats. I fnally finished by using a Norton product called Black Ice. It's one bottle of polish but you use 3 different pads. The kit they sell at eastwood has 7 inch pads but theat is for automotive use. Since speakers are small I used Norton's 3 inch pads on a cheap Harbor Freight air powered polisher. I am very happy with the results and i'm sure I didn't do it the most efficient way. I will be experimenting more in the future and will post results when I buy a new digi cam. My Wife broke ours on Halloween. I am thinking about trying a bright color from Walmart. They have House of Kolors in rattle cans.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.