'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
OK, starting to get the hang of this now. The software is very cool indeed.

Here's some renders of an Audiotechnology 8" Flex Unit. Took me all Sunday but I think it was worth it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

R-Carpenter said:
I imagine, you’d need a five axis CNC to cut this multi-angled insanity and 5-axis is yet quite expensive. Never the less, most impressive cabinetwork, I’ve seen for sometime. Design aspect of it is simply outstanding. I’ve been struggling with my own reference design (paper and pencil) for half a year now and still can’t come up with original appearance.
Congratulations, this is pretty much world class speaker.

Looks to me like all the parts could be made in a 3 axis machine.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sq225917 said:
Now all you need is a decent renderer instead of the ****-engine they use in Solidworks.

maybe try my ex employers. ;-) http://www.artvps.com/

http://www.artvps.com/uploads/gallerymodule/cars-focus.jpg

Yes the renderer included with Solidworks is really just to get you off the ground. Its still light years ahead of Coreldraw.

Thanks for the link but that renderer doesn't work with Solidworks.

The results look highend but why does it only support lower end modelling software such as Maya and 3d MAX? Where's the CATIA, UGS NX, Pro/Engineer and Solidworks support?

Can you suggest another package that produces similar results but is Solidworks compatible?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I just figured out how to do an exploded view of an assembly of parts.

This could be quite useful for visualising the relationships between individual pieces of a cabinet when designing a loudspeaker and, perhaps even more useful, when creating the cutting and assembly diagrams.

AT8Render04.jpg

Blimey, everyone has stopped making plug-ins for CAd apps, weird, i turn my back for five years and the industry shifts...!

Lightworks in Sheffield used to make a plugin for Solidworks called Photorender, a cut down verion of this may be the renderer that exist today in Solidworks. I'm not sure if you can get the extra stuff, complex ligths radiosity rendering, global illumination and all that jazz.

The current best renderer for Sw's is Maxwell.

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/partners/PartnerDetails.html?ID=10026&ProductID=1039

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sq225917 said:
Blimey, everyone has stopped making plug-ins for CAd apps, weird, i turn my back for five years and the industry shifts...!

Lightworks in Sheffield used to make a plugin for Solidworks called Photorender, a cut down verion of this may be the renderer that exist today in Solidworks. I'm not sure if you can get the extra stuff, complex ligths radiosity rendering, global illumination and all that jazz.

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/partners/PartnerDetails.html?ID=10026&ProductID=1039

I think your right. The renderer included with Solidworks is called Photoworks.

Maxwell looks much better than Photoworks. I'll look into that. The thing I struggle with is getting the lighting right. Most of the time everything is waaay too dark and if you add in enough lights to illuminate a scene then you end up with around 5 spot light, 4 point lights and 10 directional ones. I exagerate of course but no way in reality would you need that many light sources just to create something that does look like it was taken in a cave. It seems this sort of ailment is indicative of low quality renderers that use hack methods for calculating light rather than real world derived, but painstakingly time consuming, physics based approach of the photo quality ones.

ShinOBIWAN said:
The only problem is who ever modelled that doesn't have a firm grip on cabinet related artifacts. Particularly diffraction. ;) I'm sure its just an aesthetic job though. Reminds me of Harley crossed between the BW 800 series.

First, tell me you didn't really cut up a Audio Tech driver ;)

NOW tell me that the edge diffraction is significant when the driver is directional at a frequency below that at which diffraction is an issue for a particular driver design

These types of slim cabs are known for low diffraction because the drivers are (ideally) directional at the frequencies in which the edge plays a role.

I personally prefer an approach more like yours, but the ultraminimalist baffles aren't as bad as you make out.

Dunno if I've mentioned lately but I love your builds. Not my 'style' of speaker, but quality is quality (and is an essential element in the sound of a speaker- being 'built right' contributes something that is not tied to design or component quality). Many prototypes I've seen don't sound quite as they would in a full-on build, and since we're human, these detractions are assigned to the design choices or drivers or crossover.

ShinOBIWAN said:
The thing I struggle with is getting the lighting right. Most of the time everything is waaay too dark and if you add in enough lights to illuminate a scene then you end up with around 5 spot light, 4 point lights and 10 directional ones.

As an ex real world lighting designer who was very into Lightwave, I have to agree. I used to do the lighting for Avid at various graphics exhibitions, and I always took time out to wander around and look at the various renderers, and none of them worked like the real thing. But, if you follow basic lighting principles, you can get pretty good results with a couple of soft lights and a spotlight. However, CGI lighting rigger is a very highly paid job these days, so it must need some skill. ;)

sq225917 said:

Most of the high end ray tracing is used in animation modeling and commercial architecture, because there is more of a market there for the customer. Engineers don't really need ray traced images to do their work and while you can take the parts from an assembly model into 3ds Max or Maya or some other rendering specific software, you would find that the environment is not well suited for mechanical systems. If you import an assembly into 3ds Max in comes in as one file object and assigning many textures to one object becomes laborous.

You can bring the individual parts in but there is no real mechanical assembly environment and the constraints that are available are not geared for mechanical systems and are not flexible or parametric.

Lightworks is one of the best renderers among a few other high end ones. Usually the big renderers only support a couple of file types.

Again only the marketing guys need high end ray traced images from the MCAD models and these can be done rather tediously in other packages.

I believe that Solidworks makes an optional higher quality renderer but after seeing Shins driver I can't see the point unless you are selling product professionally and need to market it in the best light.

Shin's driver render looks pretty darn good. Plenty good to visualize artistic design concepts.

The actual 3d models which are useful for hardcore design work are not these rendered bitmaps but the less glamorous looking actual dynamic models. They are not pictures but manipulatable 3d virtual objects.

ShinOBIWAN said:

I think your right. The renderer included with Solidworks is called Photoworks.

Maxwell looks much better than Photoworks. I'll look into that. The thing I struggle with is getting the lighting right. Most of the time everything is waaay too dark and if you add in enough lights to illuminate a scene then you end up with around 5 spot light, 4 point lights and 10 directional ones. I exagerate of course but no way in reality would you need that many light sources just to create something that does look like it was taken in a cave. It seems this sort of ailment is indicative of low quality renderers that use hack methods for calculating light rather than real world derived, but painstakingly time consuming, physics based approach of the photo quality ones.

Shin, the lighting is the most difficult part to get right in any good render. And it can take quite a bit of time. But give yourself a pat on the back. Your render's are very good.

Here is an example from the net of a really good render that is almost indistinguishable from a photograph. In fact, most likely the outside image is a real photograph used as the background and the building and car are a 3d model. Or possibly the building interior is a real photo and only the car is a 3D model.

Attachments

• audi restaurant hdri_logo2.jpg
    audi restaurant hdri_logo2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 926
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.