'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On a more productive note (instead of wanting to shoot chavs)...

I find that Suzanne Vega albums are often very nicely mic'ed' - the acoustic guitar/vocal in "Song Of Sand" from 99.9F degrees is particularly good on a decent system.

Albums that Maynard Keenan's been involved with (Tool/A Perfect Circle) often exhibit incredible low end bass and huge dynamic range - that are usually lost on inferior sound systems. Lateralus and Thirteenth Step especially spring to mind.

There's a great into to 'Enemy Fire' on Ryan Adams' album Gold (very powerful sound) and 'Dear Chicago' on Demolition has a really 'full' stereo sound that's a good demo.

I've often been a bit dissapointed after trying some (admittedly fairly ageing) dance/drum and bass stuff I've tried on decent systems (LTJ Bukem, Prodigy live, Roni Size). I keep expecting there to be much 'more' on a good system (bass, depth of sound etc.). Maybe the stuff I've tried wasn't that well recorded.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sploo said:
*LOL* Sorry, couldn't resist it.

I'm just thinking of all the chavs that drive past my house in their 15-year-old 1.0L Novas, replete with inappropriate alloys, underskirt lights, exhaust by Tesco's Value Baked Beans, air scoop glued on bonnet (with no hole, so nothing goes to the engine) and, of course, thump thump thump thump (whoop whoop) thump thump thump etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm still thinking about writing a letter of complaint to Oxford council about the state of the roads down there. Damn near ripped my front splitter off and the CD was skipping like mad :innocent: :D

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Originally posted by sploo I've often been a bit dissapointed after trying some (admittedly fairly ageing) dance/drum and bass stuff I've tried on decent systems (LTJ Bukem, Prodigy live, Roni Size). I keep expecting there to be much 'more' on a good system (bass, depth of sound etc.). Maybe the stuff I've tried wasn't that well recorded.

It is true that the older Prodigy albums (Experience and Jilted Generation) weren't upto the highest standards of production. Most of that was produced by Liam in his bedroom studio!

If you look at todays recordings from the likes of Tiesto, Ferry Corsten etc. etc. these have high production values and are awash with audio system show offs such as placement, soundstaging and clarity. They're also great to just kick back and enjoy.

Since dance music is largely composed of synthetically generated sounds and samples its very much more tied into the current state of technology. So as time goes on things become more so and you notice a definite progression. Its a stark contrast listening to something produce in the mid 90's to something thats recent. With dance, as the technology progresses so does the art.

ShinOBIWAN said:
Yeah I'm still thinking about writing a letter of complaint to Oxford council about the state of the roads down there. Damn near ripped my front splitter off and the CD was skipping like mad :innocent: :D

*ROTFL*

That's what happens when you drop the shocks on a Fiesta, and install low profile tyres ;)

Seriously, I do remember watching some pillock in a lowered Mini (yes, you read that right, a LOWERED Mini) beeching it on a speedbump. Damn nearly laughed my *ss right off!

ShinOBIWAN said:
It is true that the older Prodigy albums (Experience and Jilted Generation) weren't upto the highest standards of production. Most of that was produced by Liam in his bedroom studio!...

Ahhh, mastered on a Spectrum :D

ShinOBIWAN said:
If you look at todays recordings from the likes of Tiesto, Ferry Corsten...

Damn I'm getting old... I've not heard of any of them!

ShinOBIWAN said:
Since dance music is largely composed of synthetically generated sounds and samples its very much more tied into the current state of technology...

Yea, it does amaze me how amateur some of the earlier stuff now sounds, but then if you think how much computer technology has come on in the last 15 years, you can buy a (relatively) cheap PC with equal capabilities to some of the highend purpose built sound equipment of just a few years back.

Note to self... must register for the meet...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sploo said:

*ROTFL*

That's what happens when you drop the shocks on a Fiesta, and install low profile tyres ;)

Cool:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Click here to see Video
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Click here to see Video
Click here to see Video

Very uncool:
Click here to see Video

Seriously, I do remember watching some pillock in a lowered Mini (yes, you read that right, a LOWERED Mini) beeching it on a speedbump. Damn nearly laughed my *ss right off!

It wasn't this one was it?

Click here to see Video

Perhaps even funnier than the car is the narrators typically British lack of enthusiasm and is colourlessly polite to the point where it hurts.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
What we have over here is a bunch of meat-head kids who buy a Civic or Jetta, stick a noisey muffler on it, 1000 "watts" of audio, makes it go faster.
A transport trunk driver lost his life here a few days ago, ran off the highway by two idiots playing Fast and Furious.
They have been charged with dangerous driving causing death.

Hi.

Wow! A beautiful speaker AND a dance-music-discussion... Count me in.

I enjoy dance-trance from the "golden era" around year 2000, but i find most of it to be lacking in the bass-department.

I have a big collection of dance/trance (Tiesto, Paul Van Dyke, Blank&Jones and stuff like that), and yes some of the productions are nice, but not much bass.

I think that makes sense because at a club/rave you would want the most bang-for-the-buck and that would be 100-200Hz middbass and not 20-100Hz "real"bass. Does that make sense?

An the other hand i find that Adam F's "Colours" from 1997 has very nice production and some scary bass. http://www.discogs.com/release/10640

Am I wrong? My system could be wrong or my ears could be F**cked :)

Sorry for the massive side-tracking of the thread.

Regards

EDIT: Whats the favorite trance-dance-thing? I would go with a classic: Blank&Jones: Cream (PVD-remix). Goose Bump every time.

TroelsM said:
Hi.

I think that makes sense because at a club/rave you would want the most bang-for-the-buck and that would be 100-200Hz middbass and not 20-100Hz "real"bass. Does that make sense?

I have also thought that there is missing something, the bas of course :xeye:

Some recordings are finalized for clubs and for home listening, also some make radio version where the vocal is some 3db louder.
;)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I feel like a school kid again. Got to have the day off work because most of the Midlands is affected by flooding... yay! I mean 'yay' to no work rather than 'yay' people's homes and lives are wreaked through copious amounts of water. Or maybe in an indirect way I just did... Hmm. I'll just say floods are bad but time off work is good, no one can argue with that.

Where was I? Ah yes... slacking :D Because I don't own an amphibious vehicle (looking for a low mileage example though, PM with details please.) I spent the entire day playing around with one speaker in a TMW setup.

For crossover, driver linearisation and digital room correction I've been using Juicehifi's Audiolense which is in Beta at the moment. Its a filter generator for use with a convolver similar to but not quite as advanced as Acourate. Still pretty nifty though and the results are arguably as good. Its also easy to use and had some working filters within about 20 minutes of having first started using the program and about 3 hours later I'd got a set of fairly optimised filters for each driver including ones with some DRC in the bass and lower mids.

Obviously tons more work to do on all fronts but I can see these being voted the best speakers in the world or at the very least, best speaker in my room, once they're finished :p :clown:

ShinOBIWAN said:

Ahhh... a Supra. I was really close to buying one once. Then bought a Honda Accord. I know... I know... :cannotbe:

ShinOBIWAN said:
Very uncool:

Yea, chav kiddies (once again) driving beyond their own ability and that of cars they're driving. Problem is, they usually injure someone else, and very rarely themselves.

ShinOBIWAN said:
It wasn't this one was it?

Actually, it was an otherwise normal one, outside Stafford College in 1993!

MJL21193 said:
What we have over here is a bunch of meat-head kids who buy a Civic or Jetta, stick a noisey muffler on it, 1000 "watts" of audio, makes it go faster...

*LOL* Yea, as we all know, adding weight and drag to an already underpowered car will improve its performance. :rolleyes:

As a mate of mine once noted, a turd is a turd, no matter how hard you polish it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.