'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ShinOBIWAN said:
Heh, I like :D

So do I, and thanks once again for the heads up.

ShinOBIWAN said:
So you decided to go with these in a 3-way then or are they sub use only?

Honestly - dunno. I've come to the (rather obvious) conclusion that if I want to learn about this speaker design lark, I really need to get around to buying some drivers.

I have a vague idea of getting a tweeter and midbass (looking at Zaph's site for response and distortion data) and maybe making a simple two-way, then extending it with one or two XLS10s.

I had a brief chat with Siegfried Linkwitz, who indicated that if you're going the boxed speaker route, then stereo sealed subs would be his preference for the bottom end (i.e. two sealed units, rather than one, or vented/ported unit).

I'd like to put two XLS10s in one box, but it's occurred to me that the minimum impedance is probably going to get a little low, plus I need to consider getting an amp for them, plus a crossover, plus working out a suitable box size, plus looking into a Linkwitz transform, plus... *sound of head exploding*

richie00boy said:
David Weems books are a good introduction for beginners.

Yea, I have his book.

I've been spending my time researching box construction, and learning to use a CNC machine I bought, so hadn't read it in a while. I have also been reading a lot of online stuff about speaker design though, so it was good to flick through it last night and realise I'm beginning to understand a lot more of what he's talking about.

Need to get this box painting thing sorted first though!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sploo said:
I'd like to put two XLS10s in one box, but it's occurred to me that the minimum impedance is probably going to get a little low, plus I need to consider getting an amp for them, plus a crossover, plus working out a suitable box size, plus looking into a Linkwitz transform, plus... *sound of head exploding* [/B]

Hey Sploo

The XLS are pretty good drivers so whatever you do with them, and providing you use them in the optimum range, I think you'll be pleased.

Let us know how it goes won't ya.

ShinOBIWAN said:
...Let us know how it goes won't ya.

You can count on it mate... as well as plenty of pestering about how to use them ;)

I've got an idea of what I want to achieve, and once I've got some plans (rough box type, size, layout) I'll probably start a thread to ask for people's thoughts and guidance.

PS I've sent a mail to your hotmail account you might be interested in.

Re: Re: Monolith

ShinOBIWAN said:

Here's the specs I was given:

Sensitivity 88dB
Weight 12.6kg
Nominal Power Handling 300W
Impedance 4 Ohms
Qes 0.416
Qms 2.73
Qts 0.361
Vas 61.6 L
Fs 23.5Hz
Re 3.7 Ohms
Le 1.30mH(@1Khz)
Cms 0.35 mm/N
Sd 468.7 Cu Cms
Mms 232g
Bl 17.46 T-M
Xmax 30mm

The manufacturer is Eminence and they are branded 'Audiodrive'.

Its tough to incorporate the long RAAL and keep the cabinet less tall without resorting to using nasty horizontal driver arrangements.

I have a few designs I drew up including a short floorstander. First priority after these are finished will be that XLS sub though.

I have a pair of these for my current project, and upon modelling in WinISD the Cms data came up as an error. I contacted the seller and it appears to be a typo on BKs behalf when measuring the driver initially to get the specs. It should read, as per WinISD at, 0.1977mm/N.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Awesome!

Originally posted by Russ White Ant,

Incredibly nice work so far!

Hey Russ, good to see you here :)

I got a lot of work done on your preamp tonight. Uber controller is coming along very well. :)

Cheers!
Russ [/B]

That really does warm my heart to hear you say that Russ. I can't wait for that box of tricks to be ready. The operational specifics of the preamp are arguably more impressive than the speakers in some ways.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Its been a while since I made any updates and there's a good reason for that; I haven't done much to warrant an update.

I'll now confirm that these definitely won't be at the DIY meet, sorry to anyone that would have liked to have seen/heard them there but the reality is that they simply won't be done in time. On a related note, some idiot from another forum stated he was going to turn up at the meet and cause some trouble for me and possibly the event. I won't go into details but I will say only inarticulate people turn to threats when they feel can't 'win' a joke of a debate. Really cannot be doing with people like that. He goes under the moniker of Stereo Mic and is a completely looney. If you come across, avoid. And if he does turn up at the meet, there's a Police Station about 150 meters down the road so I'll let them eject him and failing that I'm sure the other 50odd blokes at the meet won't take to kindly to your fooling around. He seems to be stalking me recently so no doubt he'll read that and this: you have been warned.

OK now for something worth a second thought.

I've managed to get the second speaker started and have also stripped back that tweeter cabinet after the gloss finish on it went bad. Doing that cost me a good few hours, however its all primed up again and ready for another go:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Another baffle is ready for final finishing and that will be going onto the second speaker I've shown above.

The rest of the cabinets parts that you don't see in those shots above are in a pretty sorry state. When I'm progressing the project I purposefully avoid doing anything on these bits because, having done the other parts, I know how much work is required to get them finished. ;)

But more interesting for me recently is the construction of the amps that will power these speakers. During this last and mainly rainy two weeks I've been quietly working away soldering the boards and tinkering with the chassis.

The whole thing revolves around 10 channel of 'GB300D' 300w/8ohm amp modules provided by Greg Ball of SKA. Each module will be configured as a monoblock and there's a module dedicated to each driver in the LGT's. These ten modules are split between 3 amp enclosures with 4 channels in each of the first two and the last will contain 2 channels plus the rather nifty MCU controlled preamp that :worship:Russ:worship: is working on. The preamp really is something else. I've got to say massively impressive work from Russ and you wouldn't believe the feature set. Its a wet dream for me :D Just a brief overview: It will control all ten channels spread out over three cases including soft muting, simultaneous turn on/off of all modules from a single button press as well as providing master volume control and a neat PLED display to let you know whats going on. The whole thing can also be controlled via remote too.
I'll be very proud of this component because its specifically tailored to the speakers and my way of working - its everything I want from a pre but couldn't find anywhere else!

These shots are the beginnings of one of the two 4 channel amps. This shot shows a heatsink with its two amp modules mounted:

And here's four of the associated power supplies:

And a shot of the beginnings of the internal layout:

And finally here's the front panel which I've modded to include a status LED for each of the four channels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.