'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
LaMa said:
I have the same experience, (quality is very good with the std series and custom work is also excellent). But lead time is > 4 weeks. But they always deliver, if you are ordering at the time they are doing the drivers for Sonus then you have to wait ;).

He did mention they were in the middle of a production run but didn't drop any names. That's why the 4 week wait but no problems with that though.

Oh before I forget what are you using on the bass, because 18sound is good, but not great. I think you can do better (series consisticy isn't that great)

I'm in the midst of a complete redesign and it looks likely I'll be using a pair of the AudioTech 12" geared for high efficiency but still reaching depths that 12" pro-drivers simply won't do without impractical enclosures.

I've used the 10" Flex, the bass presentation is not as tight as stiff cones. Read the review of Streophile of Rockport loudspeakers, Fremer does a good job describing the bass. For this reason Rockport is now using carbon cones on AT motors.

I have good experiences with Eton, the 12" is very good and has enough spl if you are using 2 of them per channel.

For me, Seas Excel W26/ W22, Focal Kevlar 13" are not as good as Eton. Maybe you can use the Aura sound subs, but you need a lot of them to get enough spl.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Its worth to mention from AT you can design with different cone thickness - and if you aim fore efficiency he might use a thinner cone :smash:

Be sure to know excactly what parameter you want, Per Skåning might not have the same preference as you do;)

But you are right, he is a very nice person

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Thanks again. I had a bit of a swapping 'sesh with the bass drivers on my last project, I'm determined for that not to happen again hence the reason why I'm taking my time exploring possibilities.

Do you have any details on Eton's new 12"?

I've used the Seas W22 before and prefered an ATC 9". For me the Seas was just a tad too dry and lean, possibly more accurate in absolute sense but didn't have the same fullness and slam of the ATC. How would you describe the Etons?

ShinOBIWAN said:
Thanks again. I had a bit of a swapping 'sesh with the bass drivers on my last project, I'm determined for that not to happen again hence the reason why I'm taking my time exploring possibilities.

Do you have any details on Eton's new 12"?

I've used the Seas W22 before and prefered an ATC 9". For me the Seas was just a tad too dry and lean, possibly more accurate in absolute sense but didn't have the same fullness and slam of the ATC. How would you describe the Etons?

The eton sounds very dynamic, big push/ kick without colouration and almost no boomy after efect. I have no specs of the new drivers, I think they have new (neodym?) motors. I would definately wait to find out.

The big AT cones have dynamics, bass detail, and drive. But it sounds not as controlled. I discussed this with Per and he agreed that due to the nature of a Poly cone you do not get the same bass as with stiff cones. I want to stress that it still sounds very good, and that is me who wants an other type of bass.

(Maybe you can buy a Per chassis and put an Eton cone on it).

As english is not my native language it's hard to express my thoughts about how everything sounds. Try to hear a Kharma/ Avalon or something else with Eton (Adam monitors).

Shin:

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned (unless I mentioned it) using a woofer from ATC. I was thinking something like the SB75-314SC? Or perhaps they could make something a little more custom for you? You seemed so pleased with their products in your other adventures ;) .

Also, I noticed that your pictures have exceed their bandwidth limits. I'd be happy to host them for you if you'd like.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
Shin:

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned (unless I mentioned it) using a woofer from ATC. I was thinking something like the SB75-314SC? Or perhaps they could make something a little more custom for you? You seemed so pleased with their products in your other adventures ;) .

Please don't remind me. :( I've looked into it and I knew it would be expensive but nearly £1600 for four 12's is waay over budget. Ideally I want to spend around £1000 at the very, very most. I even thought about cutting it down to just one each side to make the ATC's affordable.

They're nice drivers but I don't think any driver really justifies £400 a pop when you consider what's available for at least half that.

Also, I noticed that your pictures have exceed their bandwidth limits. I'd be happy to host them for you if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer mate, unfortunately the posts with the image URL's are locked and can't be edited now so unless they're hosted on the same server they still wouldn't appear. I don't think Al or Vik would appreciate going back editing things. The bandwidth resets every month so they should be back up soonish.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Heading towards something like this now:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

EDIT: I was playing around with idea's and that's the one I like the most so far. It shows a dome tweeter in there which can be ignored, although I have the option to play around with swapping that middle section if the Ribbon doesn't do it for me.

EDIT2: The black bits around the drivers would be recessed and lined with felt for helping with diffraction ala. Wilson etc.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Its also now transformed into a 3.5way. The dual 12's will be side firing. This gives me a good bit of breathing room and will likely mean an end to the idea of using subs.

Driver line up:

RAAL 140-15d
2x 5" C-Quenze 15cm
2x 8" Flex Unit
2x 12" still not sure which yet though, smallish volume will be a big decider.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
OK this is the absolute final design, no really! I'm now locked into nearly all the driver choices since I've made a point of ordering them to stop me from swapping :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm giving the RAAL a go first but if it turns out I'm thoroughly dome inclined then I can swap out the tweeter and XO box as shown here:

And final driver choices are:

Treble(1.5Khz+): RAAL 140-15d
Mids(200hz-1.5Khz): 2x 5" Q-Cuenze
Bass(50hz-200hz): 2x 8" Flex Units
Sub(15-40hz): 2x Peerless XLS10

The bass drivers will roll off natural and the subs will be blended to pick up the slack.

I think your design will benefit from a slightly slanted front on mid/woofer section ...

Brings up an interesting point. From what I remember you are doing passive xo's for this one, so, what is your plan for phase alignment? From the design it isn't going to be by staggering the driver's distances from the listener, so do you plan on implementing an all-pass filter in the xo network or having asymmetrical xo slopes? Are there any more options I'm not aware of?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
tinitus said:
Nice .... and now your in for some serious work:cool:

edit.... well, small point ..... I think your design will benefit from a slightly slanted front on mid/woofer section ... just to make it even harder:D

It sounds like a small change but that would turn the project from something that was just about manageable by my skills into something that I'd have serious doubts about being able to do. Its nice to push yourself but there's already so much to account for that I just feel I'd be kidding myself if I made that change. The pretty 2d drawings are a nice indicator of overall look but they hide most of the wood working complexity. The inner wall and bracing structure for the bass-mid-sub cabinet is a little overwhelming and I'm having trouble getting my head around it, I know how I want it and the volumes needed but its a different matter arranging the panels to suit.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sure.. its not easy to move around inside a box:D

In my latest box with bracing/matrix I used 12mm inside .... I used a router to make 12mm tracks...and could simply slip the matrix/bracing into place with some polyurethane foamglue ... it should not be a tight fit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.