'LGT' Construction Diary - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2007, 03:54 PM   #981
sploo is offline sploo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

On a more productive note (instead of wanting to shoot chavs)...

I find that Suzanne Vega albums are often very nicely mic'ed' - the acoustic guitar/vocal in "Song Of Sand" from 99.9F degrees is particularly good on a decent system.

Albums that Maynard Keenan's been involved with (Tool/A Perfect Circle) often exhibit incredible low end bass and huge dynamic range - that are usually lost on inferior sound systems. Lateralus and Thirteenth Step especially spring to mind.

There's a great into to 'Enemy Fire' on Ryan Adams' album Gold (very powerful sound) and 'Dear Chicago' on Demolition has a really 'full' stereo sound that's a good demo.

I've often been a bit dissapointed after trying some (admittedly fairly ageing) dance/drum and bass stuff I've tried on decent systems (LTJ Bukem, Prodigy live, Roni Size). I keep expecting there to be much 'more' on a good system (bass, depth of sound etc.). Maybe the stuff I've tried wasn't that well recorded.
Old 26th June 2007, 04:02 PM   #982
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sploo
*LOL* Sorry, couldn't resist it.

I'm just thinking of all the chavs that drive past my house in their 15-year-old 1.0L Novas, replete with inappropriate alloys, underskirt lights, exhaust by Tesco's Value Baked Beans, air scoop glued on bonnet (with no hole, so nothing goes to the engine) and, of course, thump thump thump thump (whoop whoop) thump thump thump etc. etc.
Yeah I'm still thinking about writing a letter of complaint to Oxford council about the state of the roads down there. Damn near ripped my front splitter off and the CD was skipping like mad
Old 26th June 2007, 04:28 PM   #983
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sploo I've often been a bit dissapointed after trying some (admittedly fairly ageing) dance/drum and bass stuff I've tried on decent systems (LTJ Bukem, Prodigy live, Roni Size). I keep expecting there to be much 'more' on a good system (bass, depth of sound etc.). Maybe the stuff I've tried wasn't that well recorded.
It is true that the older Prodigy albums (Experience and Jilted Generation) weren't upto the highest standards of production. Most of that was produced by Liam in his bedroom studio!

If you look at todays recordings from the likes of Tiesto, Ferry Corsten etc. etc. these have high production values and are awash with audio system show offs such as placement, soundstaging and clarity. They're also great to just kick back and enjoy.

Since dance music is largely composed of synthetically generated sounds and samples its very much more tied into the current state of technology. So as time goes on things become more so and you notice a definite progression. Its a stark contrast listening to something produce in the mid 90's to something thats recent. With dance, as the technology progresses so does the art.
Old 26th June 2007, 05:22 PM   #984
sploo is offline sploo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
Yeah I'm still thinking about writing a letter of complaint to Oxford council about the state of the roads down there. Damn near ripped my front splitter off and the CD was skipping like mad
*ROTFL*

That's what happens when you drop the shocks on a Fiesta, and install low profile tyres

Seriously, I do remember watching some pillock in a lowered Mini (yes, you read that right, a LOWERED Mini) beeching it on a speedbump. Damn nearly laughed my *ss right off!

Quote:
[B]It is true that the older Prodigy albums (Experience and Jilted Generation) weren't upto the highest standards of production. Most of that was produced by Liam in his bedroom studio!...
Ahhh, mastered on a Spectrum

Quote:
[B]If you look at todays recordings from the likes of Tiesto, Ferry Corsten...
Damn I'm getting old... I've not heard of any of them!

Quote:
Since dance music is largely composed of synthetically generated sounds and samples its very much more tied into the current state of technology...
Yea, it does amaze me how amateur some of the earlier stuff now sounds, but then if you think how much computer technology has come on in the last 15 years, you can buy a (relatively) cheap PC with equal capabilities to some of the highend purpose built sound equipment of just a few years back.

Note to self... must register for the meet...
Old 26th June 2007, 08:09 PM   #985
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Old 27th June 2007, 01:03 AM   #986
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sploo
[B]

*ROTFL*

That's what happens when you drop the shocks on a Fiesta, and install low profile tyres
Cool:
Click the image to open in full size.Click here to see Video

Very uncool:

Quote:
Seriously, I do remember watching some pillock in a lowered Mini (yes, you read that right, a LOWERED Mini) beeching it on a speedbump. Damn nearly laughed my *ss right off!
It wasn't this one was it?

Perhaps even funnier than the car is the narrators typically British lack of enthusiasm and is colourlessly polite to the point where it hurts.
Old 27th June 2007, 01:25 AM   #987
Account disabled at member's request

What we have over here is a bunch of meat-head kids who buy a Civic or Jetta, stick a noisey muffler on it, 1000 "watts" of audio, makes it go faster.
A transport trunk driver lost his life here a few days ago, ran off the highway by two idiots playing Fast and Furious.
They have been charged with dangerous driving causing death.
Old 27th June 2007, 07:36 AM   #988
TroelsM is offline TroelsM  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi.

Wow! A beautiful speaker AND a dance-music-discussion... Count me in.

I enjoy dance-trance from the "golden era" around year 2000, but i find most of it to be lacking in the bass-department.

I have a big collection of dance/trance (Tiesto, Paul Van Dyke, Blank&Jones and stuff like that), and yes some of the productions are nice, but not much bass.

I think that makes sense because at a club/rave you would want the most bang-for-the-buck and that would be 100-200Hz middbass and not 20-100Hz "real"bass. Does that make sense?

An the other hand i find that Adam F's "Colours" from 1997 has very nice production and some scary bass. http://www.discogs.com/release/10640

Am I wrong? My system could be wrong or my ears could be F**cked :-)

Sorry for the massive side-tracking of the thread.

Regards

EDIT: Whats the favorite trance-dance-thing? I would go with a classic: Blank&Jones: Cream (PVD-remix). Goose Bump every time.
Old 27th June 2007, 08:10 AM   #989
geminni is offline geminni  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TroelsM
Hi.

I think that makes sense because at a club/rave you would want the most bang-for-the-buck and that would be 100-200Hz middbass and not 20-100Hz "real"bass. Does that make sense?

I have also thought that there is missing something, the bas of course

Some recordings are finalized for clubs and for home listening, also some make radio version where the vocal is some 3db louder.
Old 27th June 2007, 10:17 AM   #990
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Cafe del Mar. End of

Hide this!Advertise here!