'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
Impressions so far? Especially vs the Perceives? I'm actually quite curious to hear a comparison between with and without the top cabinet as well.

I've been on a bit of hifi ration for about 5 months now so once this sprang to life I was pretty excited and impressed.

However I was quick to remind myself that its just one partially completed speaker running with dirt HT receiver amplification and not a whole lot of crossover experimentation or optimisation.

It certainly shows promise though. I'm still taken aback by the treble but was a little worried about the midrange chamber and all that foam, lead and bitumen I'd stuck in there to soak up the rear wave. However, it doesn't seem to be a problem because the sound is very clean but without being dead, I plan to remove some of the treatment just to get a better picture but it doesn't sound too bad right now, not really good enough though - more work to do here.
Bass is absolutely spot on. All that hard work from weeks of researching custom TS parameters optimised for sealed bass has really paid off.

Its been a long while since I've heard the Perceives but it was a great design that will take some beating. This doesn't even begin to cut it yet but its very early days yet.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Coming along nicely. I might get to listen in stereo soon :rolleyes:

You can see just why I'm a big fan of digital room correction. These speakers really make the room feel like a rabbit hutch. They look a bit daft actually but as most men do, I'm making up for inadequacies elsewhere :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
Nice, wow, but kind of depressing. There is still a lot of work left before you'll really be able to gauge how good these things are. It appears as if you may have trouble with them blocking your screen? Is it that just the angle?

Depressing is a good word. Never before I have put so much time into a project yet seemingly get no where. Plan is to just keep my head down, not think about it too much and keep on plodding then one day I'll look up and they'll be finished... and I'll sell them a couple of months later :rofl:

Don't even mention the amps either, those bits scattered around between the speakers are one of three. Yes, depressing is a good word.

The PJ screen will need either modifying or I'll have to build another one.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sq225917 said:
Shin, you know what upgrade you really need?

a bigger room.

no amnount of D-EQ is gonn a fix that tiny space,please tell us thats just temporary.

We've been trying to get planning permission to extend out on to the back garden. The plan was for a two storey extension which would double the size of the listening room and also create a utility room below this so the kitchen could be made larger. The problem is the rear of the house is north facing and would affect the light and visibility of the adjoining neighbours property and they disputed the original proposed plans. We get along with the neighbours and it would block a good portion of light over the whole of the rear of their property from midday onwards so that idea has been abandoned in favour of keeping the peace. The only other real option is to extend less further out but do so on the whole width of property, problem with this is that the bathroom and staircase to loft will all need moving and what was going to cost £25k to do turns into about £40k. Morgages are ridiculous enough without borrowing that much just for a larger listening room. So those plans are on hold.

Personally I wanted to build a ground floor extension to the room where the conservatory now is(no planning issues with that) and move the kit into there but then we'd loose the dinning room and that just ain't happening either.

The front room would be ideal but I have little chance of that thought being entertained and frankly I enjoy my own space when listening.

So at the moment we want to extend but its fraught with complications.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Projector Screen

Grumpy_Git said:
Shin you say you'll consider making a new screen. Any hints as to construction and materials suppliers?

Is it a solid or "cloth" type screen.

cheers

Nick.

Hi Nick

The screen is just 12mm MDF with chunks cut out of it to lighten the whole thing. Then I bought some 3.0 gain high power screen material from DRH. This was stretched over the MDF frame and tacked to the rear. After that it was a simple job of taking some 4"x1", running it through the table saw to but a 45degree bevel on the edge and then wrapping each piece in black velvet to control any light spill on the borders.

Trickiest part was dimensioning the borders so that the image fit correctly. I threw up on image from the projector on the screen whilst it was in situ but sans borders. From there I marked, measured and then installed the borders.

Took about 4 or 5 hours from start to finish.

sq225917 said:
and you look for the same qualities in your car 'stereo' as you do in your house hifi? really?

My car audio install back in 1986 was the best sounding
audio system I've heard compared to high end home audio.

Home audio is slow to migrate, it stays in the dark ages for
a long time, so I'd bet my paycheck that it would hold well
today if I compared that install to today's home audio - because
I haven't hear any store bought loudspeakers that thrill me.

That's why we DIY right? If we didn't DIY, we probably found
satisfaction at the store. lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.