'LGT' Construction Diary - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2007, 06:42 PM   #501
diyAudio Moderator

Ah-ha, boiled up dead animals...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 6th March 2007, 06:46 PM   #502
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Ah-ha, boiled up dead animals...
Yeah, the paint didn't like the contact adhesive at all and reacted badly ruining the finish. This stuff is fine and works really well. Only thing I don't like is the how much prep work the glue requires before you can use it.
Old 6th March 2007, 06:46 PM   #503
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Those drivers look sumptuous. I want.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 6th March 2007, 07:03 PM   #504
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikash

Get in line... I'm on my way to Shinobiwan's with a pitchfork and a wheelbarrow
Old 6th March 2007, 07:14 PM   #505
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikash

Quote:
Originally posted by badman

Get in line... I'm on my way to Shinobiwan's with a pitchfork and a wheelbarrow
Ah, fellow driver geeks
Old 6th March 2007, 07:32 PM   #506
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Design

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismercurio
The current vision of your project reminds me of the Sonics Passion.

http://www.sonicsonline.de/produkte.php

I must say that it is a fantastic undertaking.

Congrats,

C
Ah the Visaton Ti100 mids, I remember those from the very first bit of loudspeaker DIY I did; a Visaton Topas kit with a cabinet related twist:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th March 2007, 09:12 PM   #507
ch83575 is offline ch83575  United States
diyAudio Member

You mean those arent the stock cabinet design for that kit?

For that to be your first DIY project you must have a background in making thaings that are awesome... or woodworking... or something else. Perhapse you are just a very dedicated perfectionist .

Great work, keep it up!

-Chad
Old 6th March 2007, 09:16 PM   #508
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ch83575
You mean those arent the stock cabinet design for that kit?

For that to be your first DIY project you must have a background in making thaings that are awesome... or woodworking... or something else. Perhapse you are just a very dedicated perfectionist .

Great work, keep it up!

-Chad
Thanks, the wording was deceiving though, before the home audio I was heavily into car audio and built a few installs that gave me a good footing for all this.
Old 7th March 2007, 12:21 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

Ah, the secret's out Shin!

Now I know how you became so good with the cabinets!

I've always had great respect for car audio install guys- incredibly dedicated, take great pride in their rides, and perfectionists when it comes to their projects.

Way OT but have you seen Per Soda's Lime Beetle project?
http://www2.hemsida.net/bilstereo/index2.html

Click under Fabrication to check out the construction diary.

Woodwork, metalwork, fibreglassing, plastics... you name it, he does it:
http://www2.hemsida.net/bilstereo/li...6_Speakers.pdf

Leaves us home-speaker builders for dead.
Old 7th March 2007, 01:09 PM   #510
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Shin, I have those 4 drivers myself, and am saving them for another project. I'm using the 7's in a project right now. As for the 5"...Do they have a spyder with negative compression? IIRC, they come that way but it does look alarming, when you initially see it. I'm just looking for conformation on the negative position of the spyder thinge. Yours look like they have it as well, from the position of the cone.

As for the Weldbond, Guitar makers and Luthiers use it..due to one specific thing: It has the same mass and bonding characteristics of the wood itself, which is perfect for the laminate. The watered down weldbond makes for a deep and thorough bond point between the laminates..that has verly low 'changes' in density and internal reflection throughout the bond point, ie, it cuts down on multiple resonance issues within the material itself, that can be created via the laminante bonding point. It makes for a deep thorough bond point, with a non-hamonic resonance. You can see why it is a favorite of the luthiers, for repair or manufacturing. Basically, if one was to do a acellerometer based test for laminaite exitation and distortion, the weldbond laminate would likey show up to be the better configuration. Think about it.

A guitar has a tremendous amount of energy going through the body. The sound of that body is largely the major part of it's sound. Imagine if the sound of a given guitar was ruined in the process of repair. Weldbond..does NOT do this. Everytime it is used, the sound of the guitar is maintained and directly comparable to the original designs. This speaks volumes about it's use in speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!